Ripping CDs the story continues

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
DSOTM

Ripping CDs the story continues

Post by DSOTM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:10 am

I’ve noticed that it seems the general discussion is the most popular board, so her it goes. Soon, hopefully I well buy me some new hardware. I’ve learned a lot from you guys who shared your wisdom, but I’m still a bit stuck. Number one: From my understanding the USB 3.0, the large one, can only, and should be used for music for on the go, and not for permanent storage, the one behind my NODE2I. Number two. But you can put a USB flash drive in your router. This I can do with mine. Even use file sharing as I understand with the right hardware. But to have one flash drive, and then have a backup on another is a bit clumsy if you ask me. If I’m not missing something? So here comes the alternatives I have googled the last week. One external hdd with its own power supply-WD Elements Desktop 4TB. The 2TB is strangely only for Windows software. And the 4TB is NTFS ready. But I do think I’ll mange two get the 2TB ready for NTFS. This is not of course a NAS hdd, but an external HDD. So no file sharing. Apple MacBook Air, perhaps Pro, but only if the fan noise is lower. An Apple SuperDrive for ripping. Or an ACER Aspire 5 laptop. Half the money saved compared to a MacBook Air for instance. But the virus problem. Ugh! But since I have about 400 cds, I have counted them, of course a NAS would be best. But I only think I would rip perhaps 70cds, and use Spotify for the rest. But the again I can’t imagine every person listens to all he’s or hers cd collection, regarding if you have 400 cds or 4000 cds. But Andrew said to a powered USB HDD probably would suit me best. And I do think that’s more organized then having multiple of flash drives laying around. Then I can have backup on let’s say 4 USB inputs, a hub. But I can’t for the life of me find powered hdd hub from WD or Seagate. And those are the brands I want. The main disadvantage with Apple is that you pay much for the name, and they don’t have a lot HDD space. Can someone tell if it matters if it only says “Windows” on NAS for example and so on. And the NFTS issue? If that is not marked, a not go? And the only way two use file sharing is with a NAS? Maybe I’ll just buy a WD-2TB. And then buy extra space later so I can mirror then so I have backup, and be done with it. A Mac ready. It’s so confusing..... Thanks. Because I want the rip THE WALL CK2K 36183. It smokes the 2011 Version...

Stelvio

Re: Ripping CDs the story continues

Post by Stelvio » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 pm

A few years ago I got a Synology NAS (DS416+) and haven't looked back. Brilliant bit of gear, I use it for all file storage across all my devices. Storing my music on it when i discovered Bluesound has been the icing on the cake. Total reliability (unlike bloody Tidal!), it just works. It takes a little bit of setup, and yes is a bit expensive at first, but has been wholly worth it for my usage. I tried cheaper alternatives but none worked to any satisfactory degree and were in the end just wasted money. The synology is always there, always works, provides a high level of redundancy and backup. Highly recommended.

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:43 am

DSOTM wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:10 am
Number two. But you can put a USB flash drive in your router. This I can do with mine.
Way to go! So you can access files across all units in your network, incl all your BluUnits.

Best, KriHad
NAD T777v3 | Powernode | Pulse Soundbar2i | Pulse Mini2i | Pulse Flex2i
Wireless via TP-Link Deco M5 | Lossless via Radio Paradise, Tidal and USB

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am

But how do I go about backup then. And can you answer the reply I asked. I thought I replied an answer first. The BS forum has some bugs... Thanks, I’m googling for the my life... I just can’t decide...
Last edited by DSOTM on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:56 am

Yes, that’s what exactly right with BS. Mine NODE2i is an excellent platform for further upgrades. But file sharing can only be done trough a NAS, right? But I’m really confused! BS says my hardware needs to NTFS ready. That’s why the 4TB external HDD from WD was NFTS, but not the 2TB. Hmm. And it says only that you can use Windows software on some NAS and so on. Does that matter? I guess it’s important! If a go for let’s say a NAS from the brand you recommend. Can you recommend a NAS or external HDD, or powered USB-hub that suits my need, with a MacBook Pro or air or the other ACER PC laptop I mentioned. Thank you kindly! I wanna rip my Floyd’s CDS! The DSOTM MFSL CD-pure bliss...

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:10 am

In the end ill have to learn it my self. Google is my fried as they say. Yes a USB Flash Drive is probably the best. And of course having multiple USB Flash Drives is a bit clumsy. But I can if course put a powered USB hub-bus with 6 USB.3.0 inputs. Then let them stay there. Then I have backup! In my switch or my router. But it’s out of the question if can’t find one from the good brands, WD, Seagate... Regarding NAS it’s have to be quite. I’ve locked at some. 18DBM were the numbers I found. They were so supposed to very quit.

braino

Post by braino » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am

DSOTM wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:56 am
But file sharing can only be done trough a NAS, right? But I’m really confused!
File sharing can be done through a USB drive connected to your router or a computer on your network. Your concern with noise is understandable but the computer can be located outside your listening room. You will need a method to rip and back up, typically this is done on any computer.

You are over-thinking this. But I believe you know that. ;)
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 |Opera Duetto| PSB CS500

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am

Well then I learned something new to day. I only thought NAS could be used for file sharing. Meaning computer off and no wires. If you say the same can be done with USB Flash connected trough my computer or router, and still work as same as a NAS, then that’s nice. I’ve looked at Seagate usb hub. Then I can connect it to my router or my computer. Probably well do the last so my computer don’t need be on when streaming music. Thanks.

ruud76

Post by ruud76 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:35 pm

If you’re concerned about noise, buy yourself a Samsung T5, the 500 gb version sells for just below EUR 100 today and it’s great value as this is one of the fastest SSD’s on the market. Put music on it from your computer and share it from wherever you want - your computer, your router or you might even be able to connect it to your Node 2i directly; the nice thing is you can even change your mind / play with where you connect it to and find out what works for you :D

Yes, if your router supports sharing an USB HDD on the network, for your Node 2i there’s no difference between a NAS sharing storage or your router doing that.
[ NAD C 390DDv2 | DD-BluOS | KEF R700 | Pulse Mini 2i | Synology DS415+ | Ubiquiti UniFi ]

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Thanks. That’s more than enough for my Floyd cds😎. But I must say 1t from WD sounds more tempting. I have about 400 cds. I well rip them all, even if I don’t listen to all them. It we’ll be a time consuming prospect... So 5gb is too little. But of course I saw Samsung more space like 1T also. If it’s more quit then let’s say WD, Seagate or Synology. Then maybe. This options are of course not NAS HDD, so no Lan port. So I use a USB 3.0 cable, then connect to my Mac laptop ,Pc laptop and I’m on a roll. The only concern I have is the following? I know that If you have a NAS then your hardware don’t need to on. I can use my iPad from 2015 (the one I’m writing on now) for controlling and streaming my ripped CD library, just like I’m doing with Spotify Premium today) Seeing DSOTM aka the holy grail CP35-3017 ripped correctly by de-emphasize the pre issue is a dream of mine. Then just use the iPad touch screen and I’m in heaven. But a USB bus-hub don’t have a lan port. Meaning my hardware needs to be on. Braino made a valid point. My hardware could be located in a another room because of the fan noise. Hence a iMac pro. I’ve read there almost silent. But you pay so much for the name, and you get a much more limited HDD space then let’s say PC laptop of half the price, and also the around the same price. So I have of course locked at PC laptops. But anyway I’m getting carried on... Can my hardware be off when steaming music when using USB hub-bus, or does it it have to be on? Or can it only be off when using my Node2i and my router? I’m sorry for all these questions. But believe me. I’ve learned a lot from this forum. That’s what so nice with the BS community. People who are it experienced helps a noob like me.