Connecting a turntable to Vault 2i

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
Archaepon

Connecting a turntable to Vault 2i

Post by Archaepon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 am

Hello, I have tried to connect my turntable to the Vault 2i and play it through my two Flex 2i speakers placed in two rooms. I have a Rega Planar 3, now connected to a ProJect MM Phono Box MM and plugged via 3.5mm jack into the INPUT of the Valut. I have switched the Input to Analog on the Vault via the Android App. The Vault is connected to an Arcam SA90 Amp. The speakers connected to the SA90 play the music fine, in all its glory. When the Flex players are included the Amp signal stays stable and sounds good but the Flex players sound is broken up and 'farty'. It sounds like the signal is broken or faint: the sound quality is appalling.I had read a post from 2017 on here which related that they had excellent sound via their players in all rooms with a TT connected. I am considering updating my TT to a Pro-Ject Essential III BT Bluetooth Turntable. It has built in a line output and also Phono staging (so I can use my SA90 as a stand alone amp) it comes with the added bonus of Bluetooth. However on asking the HiFi retailer, who stocks Bluesound equipment, I was told that the Pro-Ject:
"Unfortunately due to the way that the built-in Bluetooth connects to devises it may be unsuitable for use with Bluesound products." (sic) I thought Bluetooth was BT, with a range of approx 10m at 2.4ghz!
My thoughts on the TT was that with a line output it, the new TT, would pair with the Vault 2i, however I am reticent in case the above scenario is re-enacated: With bad sound over the two Flex 2i players. Has anyone advice on this or thoughts? The new TT is a big investment at £339.

Archaepon

Re: Connecting a turntable to Vault 2i

Post by Archaepon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 am

Ps to that post: My Flex Players are both showing 'Excellent' signals in the App.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:11 am

Typical dealer selling you more stuff... a Bluetooth source is a Bluetooth source as far as I am aware but check with Bluesound in case there are known issues.

The Rega P3 is a very fine turntable, long lasting and with many upgrades available. I would be hesitant to replace it especially is a sidewards move.

I understand the reasons of connecting the Rega directly to your Vault as you want the audio to be in sync across all players, otherwise you could dispense with the Pro-ject phono box as the SA90 has a phono input and you could use the Pre Out to send audio to the Vault. This may actually work well without any delays but the SA90 is "complex" inside.

If you Flex's are still exhibiting "strange" audio, log a support call with Bluesound.

Archaepon

Post by Archaepon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks Seppie, I have connected the Vault to the Pre Out stage on the SA90; the TT is playing through the Vault to the main speakers, however the Reflex players are still exhibiting bad sound values; the sound is broken up again, but playing. It is also quite muted in the Reflexes; despite turning up the volume on the Vault to Max. I have to contact Support anyway because my system keeps dropping and having to be rebooted. I also cannot use the App to report any problems as when I reach the end of the report it reads 'Please supply a valid email address' on every attempt. Again, thank you I have found out what Pre Out means!

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:43 pm

In about 3 weeks we will put out a release to solve the sound issue. Capture source grouped to another unit in some cases can demonstrate what you are experiencing, we have that fixed, and will put out the release soon.
Archaepon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 am
Hello, I have tried to connect my turntable to the Vault 2i and play it through my two Flex 2i speakers placed in two rooms. I have a Rega Planar 3, now connected to a ProJect MM Phono Box MM and plugged via 3.5mm jack into the INPUT of the Valut. I have switched the Input to Analog on the Vault via the Android App. The Vault is connected to an Arcam SA90 Amp. The speakers connected to the SA90 play the music fine, in all its glory. When the Flex players are included the Amp signal stays stable and sounds good but the Flex players sound is broken up and 'farty'. It sounds like the signal is broken or faint: the sound quality is appalling.I had read a post from 2017 on here which related that they had excellent sound via their players in all rooms with a TT connected. I am considering updating my TT to a Pro-Ject Essential III BT Bluetooth Turntable. It has built in a line output and also Phono staging (so I can use my SA90 as a stand alone amp) it comes with the added bonus of Bluetooth. However on asking the HiFi retailer, who stocks Bluesound equipment, I was told that the Pro-Ject:
"Unfortunately due to the way that the built-in Bluetooth connects to devises it may be unsuitable for use with Bluesound products." (sic) I thought Bluetooth was BT, with a range of approx 10m at 2.4ghz!
My thoughts on the TT was that with a line output it, the new TT, would pair with the Vault 2i, however I am reticent in case the above scenario is re-enacated: With bad sound over the two Flex 2i players. Has anyone advice on this or thoughts? The new TT is a big investment at £339.
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

Archaepon

Post by Archaepon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:32 am

AndrewH wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:43 pm
In about 3 weeks we will put out a release to solve the sound issue. Capture source grouped to another unit in some cases can demonstrate what you are experiencing, we have that fixed, and will put out the release soon.
Archaepon wrote:
Thanks Andrew. I have a fault logged with your team:re the App not allowing me to log an issue. I will wait till that release otherwise it will necissitate two calls from Bluesound team.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:13 am

Archaepon wrote:
I am considering updating my TT to a Pro-Ject Essential III BT Bluetooth Turntable. It has built in a line output and also Phono staging (so I can use my SA90 as a stand alone amp) it comes with the added bonus of Bluetooth.
That is not an upgrade. I would never do this.
FYvvM

Archaepon

Post by Archaepon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 am

Not that helpful. But thanks. I am sticking with the Planar 3, even if it is 20 years old.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am

My turntable is over 35 years old... I don't think I'll ever trade it in.
FYvvM

Archaepon

Post by Archaepon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm

If it suits you, then fine. I was only trying to make the best of my Vault and speakers. I am getting a new cartridge to update the older Elys 2. It is an upgrade that will help the sound. BS are updating their software to help with the sound problem I have .