Apple MacBook Pro or air and usb connection and external hardrive connection

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
DSOTM

Apple MacBook Pro or air and usb connection and external hardrive connection

Post by DSOTM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Hey there. SeppiE,and others. My question is as following: I see only a 3.5 mini jack output on most portable Mac’s and even portable Ps’s,then do I need some sort adapter for my usb connection? I can’t imagine I need that. I want for fun try to connect a portal Mac or portal pc to my Rega Dac R using the usb connection. What kind of usb connection should I lock after? Usb.3.0? And can I can connect a portable hard drive to portable Mac,it probably we’ll be Mac machine. The only contender is Asus in the same price range. But all that reformatting I had to back in day when I had windows because of virus. I don’t know... Thank you kindly.

DSOTM

Re: Apple MacBook Pro or air and usb connection and external hardrive connection

Post by DSOTM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Because then I can at least start ripping cds with iTunes. And I’ve read iTunes now rips and detects pre emphasis cds correctly. It would nice to stream my own music like I do now with Spotify from my own iPad.

braino

Re: Apple MacBook Pro or air and usb connection and external hardrive connection

Post by braino » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:08 pm

IMO, you're overthinking this. The newest Macs use a USB-C style port, you'll need the appropriate cable or an adapter to connect to the Rega DAC-R which has a USB-B connection (the squarish shape, not the rectangular of the USB-A). Some of the new Mac notebooks have only 1 USB-C port which is used for charging and connecting external devices – I know its stupid design.

Apple also sells fully warrantied refurbished units at lower prices. Over the years I've bought more than half a dozen and all have been like new.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 |Opera Duetto| PSB CS500

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:11 pm

I’ll remember what you said about the usb connection. Thanks! I’m stupid,I know 😂😂. It just that this a brand new territory for me,and I’m green as possible can be. I’ve only used pc laptops before. But as I said the fan noise was unbearable. You had to reformat your pc one a year. I got tired by that,and then switched to Apple,I don’t think I well ever go back to windows/Microsoft.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 am

I would use XLD to rip all the CDs apart from the ones with pre-emphasis, XLD uses accurate rip and can add replay gain values.

But... iTunes is very easy, you will however have to add artwork afterwards to the rips as iTunes stores the artwork in a format that is not available to other applications.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks SeppiE. I hardly can’t wait for my Apple iMac pro to arrive. Hopefully soon....

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 am

https://www.xivero.com/audiorepair/

Might help with some of those CDs with pre-emphasis.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:21 pm

Thanks SeppiE. I’ll try the following software first: For Windows-bbPoweramb. For Apple/Mac-XLO. On the Steve Hoffman forum where all the Floyd-Fans are they say XLO is among the best for Mac use. I wanna registerer an account there, but I’ve heard that if you trash Mr Hoffman Masters, then your out.