NAS connection to NODE2i

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
DSOTM

NAS connection to NODE2i

Post by DSOTM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 am

Hey there. According to BS very good support site regarding connection A NAS to my NODE2i is very easy,but can be a hassle sometimes. I wanna buy my self a NAS from Seagate and so on. My question is as following: A NAS is a network hardrive,thus I only need my NAS connected to my ZYXEL switch (a cheap one,but very popular), then use my library and then transfer my ripped cds to the NODE2i? Or do I have to connect my NAS directly to my NODE2i? As good as Spotify Premium is,they don’t have the best pressings of Floyd,Dire Straits and so on... That’s why I wanna rip them to a NAS. I well probably buy me a cheap PC Laptop and use XDL or dbpoweramp,since they apparently support pre emphasis cds. I well probably go the MAC route later down road,because now it’s just to expensive. Of course I know BS have the Vault2i,but I don’t want that. It just to expensive for me at the moment. Oh the irony as MAC is even more expensive,but still I like Apple/MAC. But I I’m also wondering about the USB connection behind my NODE2i,does it support flac,pre emphasis and so on? Tony,Andrew can you guys help?

SeppiE

Re: NAS connection to NODE2i

Post by SeppiE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:43 am

Yes... you connect a NAS to your router, not directly to a Bluesound product. Copying ripped CD’s or downloaded music to the NAS.

You point the Node 2i to connect to the NAS and it will index the music.

The USB port on your Node is really only intended for small amounts of music on a USB memory stick, the index created is temporary and is deleted if you power cycle the Node or remove the USB drive.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 am

Thanks! Then I we’ll connect it to my switch! Hurray! Then I’ll buy my me some cheap PC laptop hardware. And use the software programs I mentioned to rip my cds. But-NAS,which one? A cheap,but stabile. And as I sad I well go down the MAC route later... But what cheap PC laptop with a good optical drive. Any recommendations? And perhaps even instead of NAS a SDD,HDD or even MAC MINI.(then I’ll at least have some Apple hardware)? Because,my impression is that a NAS and so on is a music server. Thanks. I’ve learned a lot from you,SeppiE.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

I tend to recommend WD NAS devices to friends and family as they are reliable and can be bought refurbished direct from WD at a good prce. This is the English UK store for the “My Cloud”

https://www.wd.com/en-gb/products/wd-re ... 20HWT-EESN

Do also think about how you are going to backup your Rips.

I only like using Apple equipment myself but if without any form of computer I would buy a cheap Windows laptop and external drive... I wrecked the drive in an iMac many years ago from EAC taking forever on scratched CDs

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks. I well probably buy me a nas and such soon. It’s going to be a fun adventure,but tiring also I believe. To rip all my cds...

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 am

FYvvM

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks for that great video! It’s not at difficult as I thought. The only thing I dread are my Floyd pre emhasis cds. Those can be ha hassle. If you don’t rip them right right they well sound bright,but that’s the whole point with pre emphasis cds it boots the highs,and the CD player well de de-emphasis the cds. So if you rip them right they well sound beautiful. Those cymbals pure bliss. On the 80cds they are right in front in the of the mix on the new 2011 remasters they sound like too laidback. Now don’t get me wrong Floyd have always sounded good on cds,but there are false Doug Sax remasters out there,just level shifted from the 80s,they sound horrible. If there are some new or old Floyd fans on this forum I would recommend buying the 80cds, if you’re a serious audiophile. The cds with CDEMD 1064 are false remasters. But as as always it’s a matter of perspective. Some like that I don’t. Have a nice day.