NODE2i and namn change

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
DSOTM

NODE2i and namn change

Post by DSOTM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm

I cant change my name I’m calling my NODE2i unit? The only solution seems to be factory reset. Strange. Well it seems I can now with out a factory reset or reboot of any kind. But a few weeks ago,no chance. But does anybody know if the network cable that’s in the box is a stranded or solid core wiring? The one that came with the NODE2i,I guess it’s same in every BS box.

TonyW
Site Admin

Re: NODE2i and namn change

Post by TonyW » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Settings, Player, Room Name ;)
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Yeah I figured it out. But do know if the network cable is stranded or solid core? I would rather have stranded,it’s more flexible. But the shop I was in didn’t know what a network cable even was. But what should I look after specifically if I need a stranded one? Thanks.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Solid cable is for installation, long runs in ducts, trunking etc and terminated at a patch panel (sockets)

Stranded is what you need, Cat 5e, flexible, longer life, terminated in RJ45 plugs. Not great for long runs due to the woven nature which means less signal.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks SeppiE,as always you know what you’re talking about😃😃. But I need to replace my networks cables they are bit bulky and rough to use,but’s that probably because they are a bit to like long. 3 meters,3 Cat5e cables,certified to 1000MPS. They are probably stranded,since you said solid core are used for different environments. But they followed with the different data equipments I’ve had trough the years. Do you think they are good enough? And do you think the one that’s in the box is good enough? The one in The NODE2i. And has the plug you talked about? If so I’ll probably buy something similar. And do you think a cheap network cables has good connections? Since you mentioned that name,RJ45? And do you think I’ll need shielded cables or not? Thanks again. PS. Sorry for repeating my self. But I’ll probably hunt for some good network cables. No hi fi network cables,that’s for sure. It’s digital. It’s either carrying the data packets or not,on or off. Thanks!

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Sorry,I took a quick google search,of course there are RJ45 plugs on all networks cables. If I’m not mistaken? The smaller plugs are for phone cables and such... I’ll probably buy me some stranded non shielded networks cables,I’ve read it’s good enough. The only reason I can think shielded cables are good enough,is If it’s a lot of interference between cables.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:22 am

Yes RJ11 is for telephone use, on phones and modems.

Shielded is good for a noisy (RF) environment, such as a large server room with multiple servers and switches or where there is radio transmitting equipment. Or if the cables have to be run parallel to mains cables.

Shielded is just harder to terminate the ends into the RJ45 but if buying ready made then its not an issue but you do pay more money, in the UK about double.

The cable supplied with Bluesound is perfectly adequate. If you Google you can find “thin” and “flat” ready made patch leads which may suit your needs.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 am

You are more than fine with UTP CAT 5e... you will see no measurable audible performance improvements. STP is in fact not recommended in LAN or Home Installations.
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.