Weird : ripped CDs seen as 24 bit?

Feedback and general discussions on sound quality and playback.
soulboogaloo

Weird : ripped CDs seen as 24 bit?

Post by soulboogaloo » Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 am

Hi there,

I'm facing something I had never seen before: when playing a CD-quality file (either a ripped CD or a Qobuz file labeled as CD quality), my DAC (a McIntosh D100) displays 24 bit on its screen.
I just changed my DAC but I'm sure a few days ago it displayed 16 bit for those files...
Setup : Vault 2 connected to the D100 DAC...
Any clues on how is it possible?
Before you ask, the D100 doesn't have any upsampling functionalities...

Thank you so much for your help!

soulboogaloo

Re: Weird : ripped CDs seen as 24 bit?

Post by soulboogaloo » Fri May 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Am I the only one who noticed that?
It's strange actually because Roon shows a purple dot to indicate that the path is bit perfect and the sound is 16 bit out of the Bluesound Vault...

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sat May 18, 2019 8:04 pm

I’ve don’t understand your question. You say your Macintosh Dac don’t show 24bits in the display,but your old did. You mean you changed to another brand,or is is stil mac. I’ve surely hope so. It’s a great brand. Now it’s not my intention of being slow or something like this. This is not my expertise, I’ve think you should contact the BS team. Andrew,Tony And Kyle ere great guys. Epically Kyle. Send a support ticket,I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Of course the forum has SeppiE,he’s a great guy. Pm him.i think he could help you.

soulboogaloo

Post by soulboogaloo » Mon May 20, 2019 1:53 am

Sorry, my post wasn't probably clear enough!

My current DAC is the Mac D100 indeed, and it has a screen that displays the bitrate and sample rate. When I play a song, even if it's CD that I ripped, the display says 24bit. Of course it wasn't the case before (just forget about the change of the DAC, it was just confusing!)

soulboogaloo

Post by soulboogaloo » Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 am

Well, I eventually sorted it out by myself. Just in case someone will face the same issue one day, a factory reset worked. Don't know what it was about, but now the DAC actually displays 16bit when playing a ripped CD.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 am

Cool you figured it out. Have a nice a day.