Tidal vs cd and MQA albums

Discuss, suggest and recommend streaming services for Bluesound.
DSOTM

Tidal vs cd and MQA albums

Post by DSOTM » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 pm

As I said in previous post I’ve tried tidal. In their marketing advertising,they say it’s cd quality-1441khz. But I don’t think so. Regular silver disc still sound better. I’ve read online that audiophile who’s says tidal does not sound as good as regular cds. If they not ripped them their self to their standards. This was also my impression. My test disc was Neil Young very good reissue remasters disc that came out a few years ago. Some of the best remasters I’ve heard! The test disc was Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere with Crazy Horse. Down by the river sounded much smoother and had more air then tidal. Does anybody know which kind of ripping program they have used. It can be good. Now don’t get me wrong. Tidal does not some bad. But Im wondering Does the vault 2i make the same sound,or does it sound better then tidal. Thanks.

vlrdngr

Re: Tidal vs cd and MQA albums

Post by vlrdngr » Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 am

It's time you start reading here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/
About MQA: it's just a money grab. Don't fall for it.
FYvvM

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm

I completely agree with. It’s just a scam. If it flops,I’m not gonna cry. At first when I heard about MQA-files,I was intrigued,I of course did not expect any new revolutionary sound change. But all people were raving about it,so I just had to try the so callled “Masters”. I didn’t think I was that big of a deal. For me it just sounds like the sound is eq a little bit. At tad more warmth in the sound and more air. But nothing special. And tidal cd quality is not good either. And it’s so expensive. In fact Spotify sounds much better than the so called cds on tidal. So you’re right. I can hear the flames coming... Bring it on.

braino

Post by braino » Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm

DSOTM wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm
I can hear the flames coming... Bring it on.
No flames here. I do think that higher sample and bit rates *can* result in superior sound. To my ears 24/192 is better than 16/44.1 in most cases. I own several master recordings (non-MQA) at higher sample rates than red book and they sound better.

I do like MQA and have been convinced of its merit by downloading and comparing free samples found here: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

I understand that vrldngr and others think MQA is a money grabbing scam, no one is forced to pay or listen to it. It is a free choice.

If you are satisfied with Spotify then great! I think the point is to enjoy the music in whatever form and not be drawn into internecine format wars.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 |Opera Duetto| PSB CS500

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm

The MQA Masters some sounded really good. Some not. It’s a mix bag for me. Maybe it we’ll improve in the future.

bobmeinhard

Post by bobmeinhard » Wed May 15, 2019 2:54 pm

I say "live and let live", guys. If someone likes MQA, let them enjoy it. If someone thinks Spotify mp3s sound better than FLACs on Tidal, it's cool. If someone thinks old LPs are the highest fidelity source in the entire world, awesome. There is too much stress in the world to get wrapped around the axle on this stuff. We should all be glad that everyone has something they can enjoy with the Bluesound ecosystem.
Bob
Node 2 | Auralic Aries Mini | Mytek Brooklyn DAC | Parasound A21 | Thiel CS2 2/B&W 705 | Schiit Asgard 2 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro | Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx
Node 2 | Parasound Zamp v3 | Thiel CS .5
Pulse 2 | Pulse Mini | Pulse Flex

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Totally agree. What you personally think sounds good, then go with it, enjoy your music, and what that brings to you.

bobmeinhard wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:54 pm
I say "live and let live", guys. If someone likes MQA, let them enjoy it. If someone thinks Spotify mp3s sound better than FLACs on Tidal, it's cool. If someone thinks old LPs are the highest fidelity source in the entire world, awesome. There is too much stress in the world to get wrapped around the axle on this stuff. We should all be glad that everyone has something they can enjoy with the Bluesound ecosystem.
Bob
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Well,I’m not gonna argue with guys. You seem like kind people. But to pay about 30 dollars a mont for a little of more air and warmth,that’s a bit to much for me. Regarding Spotify mps3,yes of course it’s not cd quality,I’ve never said that. And the good old cds well always be king in digital for me. But Spotify uses a very good codec to make their songs sound very similar to cds. Vorbis codec. Apple Music uses aac,they don’t sound good. So I also think it’s depends on the codecs,regardless if the music is compressed. But I was very taken back by the way tidal sounded on cd. They claim it to 1441kbps,that’s cd quality. I can assure that’s not true. But! There can be difference in my CD player that I only use as transport,then connected to my dac. That of course could make some “strange” Jedi Knight” force.😀😀😀😀. I did test several of my cds vs tidal so called cds,and the there were a night a day difference. I did of course make sure it were the same remasters that I had and tidal had. If I played my Holland silver disc of the wall from the 80s,it of course would have smoked the 2011 remasters,both on ordinary cd and tidal cd. And mqa, yes I see the point that many people like it. Steely Dan-Two Against Nature sounded incredible on mqa. The rest of catalogue. Meh... Fleetwood Mac Rumors,very good. The rest not so good. But as always it’s very system dependent. Cheers.

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am

Part of the process for MQA specifically is that a lot of the content is remastered first before it goes through the process. From my experience I've only ever found one album I didn't care for, it was an aretha franklin one where she was singing in a jazz club, the original sounded like a jazz club, background and sounds offered a warm feeling of the room, the updated version sounded like a cold auditorium with no personality, but it's all in what you like.
DSOTM wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 pm
Well,I’m not gonna argue with guys. You seem like kind people. But to pay about 30 dollars a mont for a little of more air and warmth,that’s a bit to much for me. Regarding Spotify mps3,yes of course it’s not cd quality,I’ve never said that. And the good old cds well always be king in digital for me. But Spotify uses a very good codec to make their songs sound very similar to cds. Vorbis codec. Apple Music uses aac,they don’t sound good. So I also think it’s depends on the codecs,regardless if the music is compressed. But I was very taken back by the way tidal sounded on cd. They claim it to 1441kbps,that’s cd quality. I can assure that’s not true. But! There can be difference in my CD player that I only use as transport,then connected to my dac. That of course could make some “strange” Jedi Knight” force.😀😀😀😀. I did test several of my cds vs tidal so called cds,and the there were a night a day difference. I did of course make sure it were the same remasters that I had and tidal had. If I played my Holland silver disc of the wall from the 80s,it of course would have smoked the 2011 remasters,both on ordinary cd and tidal cd. And mqa, yes I see the point that many people like it. Steely Dan-Two Against Nature sounded incredible on mqa. The rest of catalogue. Meh... Fleetwood Mac Rumors,very good. The rest not so good. But as always it’s very system dependent. Cheers.
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sat May 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Does anybody know if MQA-files we’ll take on? I do think it’s a chance since it’s a online service. But I’ll doubt it we’ll take on. What happens if tidal goes bankrupt,there’s a strong possibility of that. Yes I know Spotify have also lost a lot of money. Don’t these firm have an account manager? I well try tidal again to day I think. But sadly we’re all different when it comes to sound,this is of course good regardless if it’s hifi or other things in the world. If were all same the world would have been boring. But what is so intriguing with MQA? Does anybody know if some of studios we’ll record in MQA in the first place? Or is only an online service? I’ll stick to my claims. As I said some albums sounded great,really great. But to me it sounds like some eq is going.