Tidal

Discuss, suggest and recommend streaming services for Bluesound.
DSOTM

Tidal

Post by DSOTM » Sun May 12, 2019 6:34 am

Wel,finally I’ve tried Tidal. Disappointed. The sound is way to low. And yes and I know a good recording has great dynamics but this is just low from tidal. About the same volume as tone controls enabled in Spotify settings if using AirPlay as a “source”. But what was really strange,I could still hear the sound if masters were enabled. My rega dac r don’t support that. And my rega don’t change the led lights in front. Is still on 44.1-48K. And BS have enabled Tidal in airplay 2. I thought it was like Spotify connect. I could be mistaken. But if it’s supposed to be like this,sure it can’t be. There’s gotta be some settings I’m not aware of. If not not Tidal is not cd quality. I had same cd vs Tidal. No contests. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

SeppiE

Re: Tidal

Post by SeppiE » Sun May 12, 2019 8:07 am

The Rega Dac R does not support MQA so its working correctly, personally I would use the analog outputs and bypass the Rega Dac.

Not sure how you are using Tidal, but you need to add it to Bluesound as a “Music Service” and have the Tidal HiFi plan to benefit from the higher quality.

braino

Post by braino » Sun May 12, 2019 10:29 am

DSOTM wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:34 am
Wel,finally I’ve tried Tidal. Disappointed. The sound is way to low. And yes and I know a good recording has great dynamics but this is just low from tidal. About the same volume as tone controls enabled in Spotify settings if using AirPlay as a “source”. But what was really strange,I could still hear the sound if masters were enabled. My rega dac r don’t support that. And my rega don’t change the led lights in front. Is still on 44.1-48K. And BS have enabled Tidal in airplay 2. I thought it was like Spotify connect. I could be mistaken. But if it’s supposed to be like this,sure it can’t be. There’s gotta be some settings I’m not aware of. If not not Tidal is not cd quality. I had same cd vs Tidal. No contests. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
As far as I know, Airplay is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz. It sounds awful compared to the analogue out from the Node. Node 2i will not decode MQA through anything but the analogue out. In addition Airplay 2 had latency issues because it makes 2 hops through the router.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 | B&W 685 S2 | PSB CS500

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Yes,I see your point. My Rega Dac is connected to the node2i trough coax. But why on have earth have BS implanted Tidal in airplay 2,it sounds awful. Tidal a tad better then appple music. But do you hear me a tad better! Yes it would be nice to have a dac that hadkes mqa Fiiles. And the node does that. But the volume, is it just as low on standard Hifi settings if I connect it straight from the analog outputs on my amp? The volume should not be -7db lowere, just like if you enable the tone settings in airplay 2. Thanks.

DSOTM

Re: T

Post by DSOTM » Sun May 12, 2019 12:11 pm

I mean why is the volume so low? Connection orders is as above. And why doesn’t my Rega dac r at lest respond to frequency change. It’s still on 44.1-48K? Well the setting must wrong at my house? Thanks.

Roamingstudio

Post by Roamingstudio » Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Um - not sure what you are trying with AirPlay 2 and Tidal.
If you open the BluOS app and select your player you can then choose your source - a Tidal account does nicely - and then stream. I never ever switched on Airplay even though I am a iOS / Mac user. Just never needed it.

As a Tidal HiFi subscriber I can then choose MQA authored files and stream. Sometimes the audio difference is detectable. Sometimes not. If the original recording is not high definition streaming it via MQA will not suddenly improve its quality.

It sounds like you are using the Tidal App - Casting the steam via AirPlay 2 to the Node 2i - In which case the AirPlay 2 codec will be the limiting factor. Not your Tidal account.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sun May 12, 2019 12:15 pm

DSOTM wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm
But why on have earth have BS implanted Tidal in airplay 2,it sounds awful.
Sigh...

Bluesound have not implemented or implanted Tidal in Airplay 2, they have enable Airplay 2 on all “i” models and its up to you what you send from your Apple device to Bluesound. It could be audiobooks, Tidal, youtube etc. etc. etc.

Your Dac is not changing as you are not sending it anything hires, Tidal is Redbook or MQA.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun May 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Personals I’ve think you all were kind a hard on me,except of braino. “Your dac does not decode MQA-files”. Yes I know that!!! But shouldn’t it at least in this case,the Rega Dac r change the frequency range. It just stayed on 44 1-48K. By that that I mean if I changed it to hi fi settings in the Tidal app,the the Rega should react. Nada. Nothing happened. But the volume was about 25 -dB lowere the regular cd. That can’t be right. And the only option I get is that awful airplay 2 option,that enables me to send music to my speakers. I also unplugged my Rega Dac,and I just used the node2i. It was the same there. Exactly the same sound singnature,by this I mean volume. Yes the MQA -files were a tad better. And the only settings I’ve got enabled in the node2i audio settings is output level fixed. Thanks.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sun May 12, 2019 3:07 pm

SeppiE wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:07 am
The Rega Dac R does not support MQA so its working correctly, personally I would use the analog outputs and bypass the Rega Dac.

Not sure how you are using Tidal, but you need to add it to Bluesound as a “Music Service” and have the Tidal HiFi plan to benefit from the higher quality.

Please read the second paragraph. DO NOT USE THE TIDAL APP

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sun May 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Im sorry. The poster who said I’d should use Bluusound app,then the Tidal app should be awarded with a smile face. 😆😆😆😆😆. Thanks. As you all said the Rega Dac R don’t support MQA-files,but it still shows a better frequency range now. 88.2-96k,which is cd quality I think .There were a quite different sound from Spotify. But not night a day. But still I’ll I have to give a few days. I’ve think the Rega Dac “does” something do the sound if I play masters albums. It’s night now i Norway,so I’ll have to wait till to tomorrow before my Marantz PM14S1 gets some workout😎😎😎. But I do think that regular Tidal still sounds better then Spotify. Then I mean 320khz mp3 sound,but it’s depending on the codec. Here I get mad at you guys. Mad and mad. I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder. But at first I didn’t understand a thing with tidal. I though,what the f.... a -25db drop in volume sound quality. All drive and dynamics dissapered. I think the BS team should inform new tidal users what they should be doing,so there’s now misunderstandings. Can I also play Apple Music directly from the BS app?. Then maybe I can avoid that awful airplay 2. Which other music apps can I play directly from the BS app. And to the BS team. Can’t you set a settings button for sound and so on. I can’t find anything. I’ll have to go in the tidal app. As always thanks guys.