Switch recommendations

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
SeppiE

Re: Switch recommendations

Post by SeppiE » Sat May 11, 2019 2:10 am

The LED indicators on the network card cannot be turned off, they are at a very low level and the inbuilt software / firmware on the interface almost certainly was created by the manufacturer of the network interface to be robust and “adjusted”

Today...Network cables, are all the same (at the same speed specification) as Ethernet is an error correcting protocol. If changes could be made by to the data packets then your pictures and word processing documents would also alter.

DSOTM

Network cables

Post by DSOTM » Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm

I would very much like to use some good quality networking cables. SeppiE you said they were all the same. If it’s regarding sound quality you’re probably right. But I stand by my cause that there are difference in analog cables and optical and coaxial cables. But I would like some stranded networks cables, cat5e cables. But can I use Cat6 or 7 if there’s a cat5e cable from downstairs to upstairs to the NODE 2i? Thanks. Ps. Are there quality difference between the networks cables,regarding how they are build. I know about speed.That cat5 only goes to 100mb,but in theory could reach 1000mb like cat5e. Maybe I’m wrong. So please just tell if I’m wrong. Thanks.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat May 11, 2019 12:36 pm

CAT 5e is all you need but if running lengths through the house which maybe there for many years then CAT 6 to future proof. Don’t get CAT 5.

I just buy cables bulk from a UK company called CPC / Farnell. I did however have some alternative sourced CAT 5e cables of 50cm length that would not support Gigabit and the equipment kept switching to 100Mbps. So look for certified cables!

You can mix cable speeds in a network.

Audio cables are an entirely different matter...

newblue

Post by newblue » Sat May 18, 2019 1:24 pm

My suggestion is to find the most basic, unmanaged switch and use Cat6 unshielded. In fact, make sure the switch is unshielded at the port as well.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I kept hearing odd distortion in certain frequencies in my setup. It gave an impression of being warm, but has sheen on certain notes. Bass expanded but lacked definition. I tried everything, including different outlets, power strip, cabling, and so on. When I put in my old 10/100 switch, problem solved. I'd thought maybe gigabit ports are noisy, but that was not it. It was because I was using shielded ethernet switch with shielded cable. On top of that, my interconnects were shielded at both ends. Apparently, in order for shield to work properly it has to be grounded, and I do not have the technical means to make it perfect in my home. My solution was to find the most unadorned gigabit switch possible and use unshielded CAT6 to avoid any chance of getting it wrong. I'm a happy camper now, and just enjoy my collection of music.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks newBlue.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Sat May 18, 2019 9:18 pm

newblue,I meant. I just think I’ll stick to my zyxel swich. Is an unmanaged switch. I use only basic cat5e cables. But I do think the one I’m using now are not multi stranded,so they are a little tight to bend around corners. So I would very much like to use some standed,not solid core. If they are shielded or not,I have no idea. I just had some laying around. Cat5e cables. Does anybody body knows what exactly the network cable that comes with the NODE2i are made of? I’m just thinking about newblue said. Tony?