Switch recommendations

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
DSOTM

Switch recommendations

Post by DSOTM » Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Hey there. I’ve looked at some unmanaged switches,like Tp-link,Netgear and so on. Which of the unmanaged switches,that cost around 75 dollars are the best. And are there benefits with management switch. Can you see if you have data packs loss,,and so on. Are they easy to use? Then I’ve heard there are switches in between called smart switches. Somebody help. Thanks.

Roamingstudio

Re: Switch recommendations

Post by Roamingstudio » Thu May 09, 2019 11:54 pm

I’ve been happy with the Netgear switches - and generally push to get the slightly more expensive “unmanaged” versions. Eg Gs105 or 108. They are SoHo “small office home office” and just work.

The smart managed plus ones are slightly more expensive but work perfectly for streaming optical input vi Soundbar connecting to two Flex’s (theatermode). Eg GS105E

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Fri May 10, 2019 1:17 am

Netgear or better still D-Link, metal cased versions tend to work well and last.

Always recommend that if used in a home environment you keep clear of managed switches.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 am

I have had nothing but misery from TP Link. I now have Netgear and everything works like a charm.
No experience with D Link here.
FYvvM

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Fri May 10, 2019 11:33 am

Zyxel ES105v3 does a great job (GS105 if you want more speed). Use mine for avr, oled, and uhd player. Cost appr 25 euro. Rest of network is TP-Link, no issues mixing brands.

https://www.zyxel.com/se/sv/products_se ... .shtml?t=p

Best, KriHad
NAD T777v3 | Powernode | Pulse Soundbar2i | Pulse Mini2i | Pulse Flex2i
Wireless via TP-Link Deco M5 | Lossless via Radio Paradise, Tidal and USB

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks dudes. I have a ZYXEL GS-105S v2. My router is an ZYXEL P8702N. I’ve heard rumors that brad gets the most hate of all brands. But if you read a online,you’ll find all kind of stuff. But it seems my router is set up as a wan. From my understanding this mean I can use it like a “brigde”,meaning I connect a netgear router,those with antennas right to my ZYXEL routher with a cat5e cable. Or even have my Netgear router upstairs,since my ZYXEL is down stairs. Is that true? Or do I need one more router,in this case 3? But I’ve heard it can be bad and difficult to set up two routers on the same network? I have cat5e cable going from downstairs to upstairs for years! At least the last 4 years,with out me knowing it. Dumb me. Because my Tv decoder supports cat5e cables. And my Tv decoder has a Cat5e outlet in the wall. So the network cables goes from decoder to the data outlet in the wall. I have fiber connection. So I belive I have what’s called an ip decoder/TV.? And the data outlet in the wall is called a ethernet outlet? And the light from my ethernet port that keeps blinking,it’s quite nice at night,sometimes not. I’ve heard someone uesd a permanent black marker. That seems risky to me. I was thinking of buying me some black electrical tape,then tape some round the ethernet port. But the cat5e goes quite fair way in the ethernet outlet. I don’t damage anything by doing it eventually with these options? The port doesn’t get 🥵 hot something like that? Thanks.

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 pm

DSOTM wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm
I’ve heard someone uesd a permanent black marker. That seems risky to me. I was thinking of buying me some black electrical tape,then tape some round the ethernet port.
I use black electrical tape for all my Bluesound speakers to hide the blue led on the fronts. Suggest you use that for the ethernet port if blinking is too intense. Easy peasy to remove should you change your mind.

Best, KriHad

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Fri May 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks. I’m on your side when it comes wi fi vs hardwired. So much better sound,when you use network cables. Do you use Hi Fi network cables,or just standard? Thanks. I well try and find a solution. But many have complained about this issue,many years back. I hope BS well update this in a firmware update. If I’m mistaken about the sound quality,I’m 😐. But I think you said in a post.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm

But are you an expert on the wan issue? Thanks.

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Sat May 11, 2019 12:48 am

DSOTM wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:16 pm
I’m on your side when it comes wi fi vs hardwired. So much better sound,when you use network cables. Do you use Hi Fi network cables,or just standard?
I only cable my avr, oled, and uhd player to never have dropouts. Cables are pretty basic Audioquest Pearl because they are black and have slim connectors, helpful when placed parallel in a small switch. All my Bluesound products (see signature) are on wi-fi so can not comment on sound.

This is a feedback forum, all support is done by Lenbrook where the experts are.

Best, KriHad