Vault 2i

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
DSOTM

Vault 2i

Post by DSOTM » Tue May 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Hey there. I’m thinking of adding myself a vault 2i in my Bluesound family. Even though I’m I’m having a bit of problems with the the node2i,but I’m getting a new. And i thought think I well leave the Bluesound family even though my node2i is a little difficult🤔. But I have a few Pink Floyd cds from the early 80s that we’ll fetch big bucks online. Including the the wall Blackface WG edition and The Wall silverface Holland edition,that smokes the 2011 remasters,even though they sound fine. Floyd cds have always sounded good on cd,but there are many bad ones in the “wild” also. Every time I’m in a hi fi shop I ask “could you play the DSOFTM cd”. No it doesn’t sound good. I always laugh and say”you haven’t cp35-3017 aka the holy grail”. Buy I’m a little disappointed,gutted the fact,that the Vault2,the old don’t rip cds with pre emphasis. Some my Floyd cds have that. And since it’s a pain to rip pre emphasis cds,and I’m know computer tech,it would have been nice to just rip my cds with pre emphasis in the vault. Does the version support pre emphasis? And can It even be updated to firmware even? That workday have been awesome. Thanks,

TonyW
Site Admin

Re: Vault 2i

Post by TonyW » Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 am

My understanding of pre-emphasis is this; when CDs were first released in the mid-late 80s, rather than going back to the master tapes, they were converted from the sub-masters which were already mixed for RIAA (vinyl pressing) compensation. They were bassie.. so the pre-emphasis was added to de-emphasis the bass and thus appear to bring up the mid tones... it was heavily used in classical recordings, but totally get why Roger Waters would want to go this route.

Note in the early 90s the sudden appearance of CDs being 'Remastered'. This is the technical reason this happened. (Remember the Beatles CDs when they first came out, it sounded like there was a shower in the background because you never realised before how much Ringo rode the high hat after the RIAA mix toned it out...)

The way to 'fix' it would be to add an inverse RIAA curve to the 16/44.1 rip. We don't... but that's what's going on...
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 am

Okey, is there a way to rip with other programs,then transfer to the vault? Have you heard The wall CK33183 from 1990. It has a wonderful clarity in the top end,that’s not on 2011cd. I’m sorry I’m answering so much. I’m so excited a forum legend is answering me😎😎😎😎

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 am

Yes. We are not completely sure they used the master tapes in the 80s,but still it sounds better. That debate we’ll never go away.

DSOTM

Post by DSOTM » Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am

The 80s Beatles maybe I’m crazy,but I think abbey road sounds better then 2009 version. Yes 2009 has more bass,details and so . But it’s a bit digital. Hiding....

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

DSOTM wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 am
I’m so excited a forum legend is answering me😎😎😎😎
Don't take it personal... I answer whomever I can... @Seppi is the real legend... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's how you access the drive to drag and drop (to or fro); https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us ... /200387457
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Aw shucks :oops: