Bluesound can't handle mesh points?

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
roadeye

Re: Bluesound can't handle mesh points?

Post by roadeye » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 am

While it’s still early, I recently wired all of my endpoints to my TP Link Deco M5 router and satellites and performance has been flawless. Fingers crossed I didn’t just jinx it!

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:02 am

roadeye wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 am
While it’s still early, I recently wired all of my endpoints to my TP Link Deco M5 router and satellites and performance has been flawless. Fingers crossed I didn’t just jinx it!
The Deco M5 has been mentioned several times before as being fantastic, still on my list to go down the mesh route but a recent house move I found I have decent wifi everywhere so no real rush to spend any money.

DrFly

Post by DrFly » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 am

Thank you Royce for this super-helpful post!

jim brennan

Post by jim brennan » Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Very interesting thread. I've had nothing but problems as well with my NAD368 + BluOS MDC and my Orbi RBR50 router as well. The main Orbi router and NAD are in the same room about 10 feet apart. The Orbi satellite is probably 60 feet away, upstairs at the extreme opposite end of the house. Despite that, the NAD drops off the network regularly.

Originally I was on a Netgear WNDR4500 and didn't have any problems. Since upgrading to the Orbi (for other devices in the house), I regularly experience the NAD dropping off the network. Once minute it's there, the next it's gone. Typically I have to hard reset the NAD (turn the power entirely off / on with the switch on the back of the amp) to get it back on the network. Then, after some indeterminant amount of time, it'll drop again (it's literally happened within seconds, and other times it'll run for hours). Generally, I'd say the problem happens within 60 - 90 minutes.

I've had a dialogue with support, including manually upgrading firmware on the NAD and MDC, but despite getting direction on the various settings that should improve behavior, such as turning off the router's radio for broadcasting and going with Access point mode, setting to channel 6 for 2.4Ghz (rather than auto), disabling Port Scanning and DOS Protection, Enabling Daisy Chain Topology, setting IGMP Proxy to auto, turning off Beamforming, etc. So far all for naught.

Today the Netgear team asked me to align the NAD's IP to the DMZ and also setting an address reservation for that IP, so we'll see how that goes.

Things that would be valuable:

* More telemetry / ability to send logging info back to Bluesound to facilitate troubleshooting / product improvement.
* More guidance about configuration for popular routers; I get that network stuff is complex, but that's the rub... getting and staying connected ideally needs to be simple for consumers. That's part of the value prop guys! I don't expect to spend hours testing one configuration after another.
* BluOS doing a better job of reconnecting or rebooting itself in the event of a drop, without me having to get up and hard power reset.

braino

Post by braino » Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 pm

As another data point, I also have a NAD 368 with the MDC module (version 2 if that's relevant). Initially had it wired with a Powerline adapter that worked well, no issues with Tidal, Radio Paradise or my NAS-based library. I recently connected a WiFi extender to the Powerline adapter and set the 368 to Wifi.

The extender is about 3 meters from the NAD, still no issues and great connectivity. I'm in Canada my ISP is Telus and I'm using their Wifi Boosters for an Actiontec T3200M modem with a fibre connection.

I agree that troubleshooting WiFi issues within BluOS can be difficult, an engineering degree may be required. ;)
I used WiFi explorer to identify channel conflicts with my neighbour's which made a significant difference.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 |Opera Duetto| PSB CS500

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Wed May 15, 2019 2:57 pm

jim brennan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm
* More telemetry / ability to send logging info back to Bluesound to facilitate troubleshooting / product improvement.
That is EXACTLY what Help, Send Support Request in the App is there for - to get you the help you need.
jim brennan wrote:
* More guidance about configuration for popular routers; I get that network stuff is complex, but that's the rub... getting and staying connected ideally needs to be simple for consumers.
We agree, unfortunately makes, models and even frimware changes cause routers to change, why we advise on best practices when you visit our https://support.bluesound.com/ including an entire troubleshooting section called Network 101

All that being said, I find it curious the told you to put it in the DMZ - it now has 0 routing filters applied to it (including being partially exposed to the outside world)... you may want to consider a DHCP reservation...

Send a Support Request as I mentioned...
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

jim brennan

Post by jim brennan » Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 pm

TonyW wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:57 pm
jim brennan wrote:
That is EXACTLY what Help, Send Support Request in the App is there for - to get you the help you need.
jim brennan wrote:
* More guidance about configuration for popular routers; I get that network stuff is complex, but that's the rub... getting and staying connected ideally needs to be simple for consumers.
We agree, unfortunately makes, models and even frimware changes cause routers to change, why we advise on best practices when you visit our https://support.bluesound.com/ including an entire troubleshooting section called Network 101

All that being said, I find it curious the told you to put it in the DMZ - it now has 0 routing filters applied to it (including being partially exposed to the outside world)... you may want to consider a DHCP reservation...

Send a Support Request as I mentioned...
1) Yes, but despite doing that (opening a support issue through the BluOS UI which sent back some amount of telemetry, it didn't seem that the Bluesound support rep i was working with was able to give me anything other than general guidance. I kind of gave up for a while and just resigned myself for the past 3 months to doing a hard reboot since I wasn't getting anywhere. My thought was that although you do send telemetry, maybe more is needed. Granted, telemetry isn't an exact science, but it just was frustrating that we didn't seem to be able to get any reasonable idea of what was occurring.

2) Interestingly, the guidance that I was provided by the Netgear team finally seems to have helped. I've not had it lock up since we took those corrective actions (3rd day now). They had me both put it in the DMZ _and_ add a DHCP Reservation for the device. I will back out the DMZ option and see if the issue comes back. Have you seen this scenario with other Orbi users? Might be useful for an FAQ.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 am

The fact it is in the DMZ and works suggests your router is in fact blocking traffic of some sort... - or - ...the DHCP reservation alone resolved the issue and DMZ placement is inconsequential.

If it works leave it but that wouldn't have been my recommendation...
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

kevin1969

Post by kevin1969 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 am

I have 3 wired Google WiFi mesh points if anyone needs help. Every so often I'll have a blip on the app when my phone changes to a new endpoint but no issues at all with streaming.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:30 am

kevin1969 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 am
I have 3 wired Google WiFi mesh points if anyone needs help. Every so often I'll have a blip on the app when my phone changes to a new endpoint but no issues at all with streaming.
What happens in the apps when the phone switches to another access point please? Leaning towards the Google wifi now after realising Plume charges each year :shock: