Vault 2 Backup Problem

Discuss using the Bluesound Vault (V500) as a NAS device.
epooley

Vault 2 Backup Problem

Post by epooley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:51 am

I am trying to copy the contents of my Vault2 to the hard drive of an unused Apple Time Capsule on the same WiFi network. These music files are the only data on the Apple device. The process takes a day. With 2/3 of the files copied, the copying fails and I get Apple error code 8084. Apple support tells me this code means one of the files on the Vault2 drive has a bad character or is corrupted. How do I identify and remove the bad file so I can complete my backup? Also, what is the process for connecting Vault2 to Time Capsule via ethernet cable to speed the process? Thank you

SeppiE

Re: Vault 2 Backup Problem

Post by SeppiE » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Format the drive in the TM and connect the Vault to it via Ethernet. Unfortunately its never going to be fast as you cannot initiate the copy from the Vault or the TM and have to use a computer. If the computer is also wired to the TM then you will speed things up a bit.

I use a cheap external USB drive on my Vault for backups.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Sorry, forgot to say sometimes the TC borks up copying vast amounts of data but if you use the command line its fine. Alternatively you could use a copying utility, on the Mac SuperDuper would at least give you error reporting. If copying using a Mac there are logfiles... somewhere :D

In the prior post I meant the TC and not TM

epooley

Post by epooley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Thank you! Error reporting must be what I need, if a corrupted file is the reason my transfer is shutting down, right? If Super Duper can identify the culprit, then maybe I have a shot here?