BluOS 3.2.10 with Alexa support

Feedback and suggestions on other control options and apps for Bluesound Players.
mikesimm

Re: BluOS 3.2.10 with Alexa support

Post by mikesimm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:57 am

Having thoroughly read the bluesound Alexa instructions I get the impression that we can tell blue voice to do things like “play preset 1” or other general things it has been trained to understand- but not things like “play Gary Moore” or “play Foxtrot by genesis” unless we have already put those in to a playlist or preset

Am I understanding that correctly?

If so Bluos needs an update to make the voice skill worthwhile

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:28 am

mikesimm wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:57 am
Having thoroughly read the bluesound Alexa instructions I get the impression that we can tell blue voice to do things like “play preset 1” or other general things it has been trained to understand- but not things like “play Gary Moore” or “play Foxtrot by genesis” unless we have already put those in to a playlist or preset

Am I understanding that correctly?

If so Bluos needs an update to make the voice skill worthwhile
Hi Mike - Kind of, it depends where you are actually as it depends what Amazon's db understands. Amazon's US based servers are much better at referencing Bands and Album names is you are using Amazon Music Unlimited. It's a limitation of Amazon's API when using a voice skill.
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

Insweep

Post by Insweep » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm

So (I'm hesitant to ask), is anyone in the US using Alexa voice commands yet?

If so, how is it working out? If you are using Amazon Prime music, have you been able to command certain artists, songs, and/or playlists to be played?

I wait for a response, with extreme trepidation (a fancy word for 'F-E-A-R')....

:cry:

Insweep

Post by Insweep » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Really, no one is actually using Alexa?

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 am

Afraid you are right. Very little had been said in this forum since Alexa launched. Am surprised too. On the other hand, it proves the BluOS app / controller is good enough. :)

Best, KriHad
Pulse Soundbar 2i | Pulse Mini 2i | 3x Pulse Flex 2i
Wireless via TP-Link Deco M5 | Lossless via Radio paradise, Tidal & USB

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 am

I am using Alexa but do find it quite a mouthful to use...

“Alexa ask Blue Voice to play XYZ in the Living Room.”

I have defaulted the Alexa device to the living Room now to make it shorter but ideally I would like to say “Alexa play XYZ” then the rest of my family would use voice control.

It’s early days and the skill will get better in time.

Insweep

Post by Insweep » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Seppie,

Are you using the voice command to play artists and albums? If so, are those voice commands limited to your local library only, or can they be used within Amazon and Tidal?

Thanks

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:48 am

Just using it with Amazon Music as I know that’s going to work with Alexa as it’s the same company but will be switching back to Tidal on my next billing cycle.

Cannot play local music beyond presets and playlist, I must however spend more time going through the commands to see what else I can do without driving my family mad, Skills document link...

https://support.bluos.net/hc/article_at ... _Guide.pdf

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Local music is limited by region as set by Amazon, if you are not set to US English you simply cannot do it.

When we first looked at building the service we ran into a bunch of stuff that makes us go "hunh?" in the dev interface for US there are a couple dozen more available boxes to put information into that are not extended anywhere else in the world. To give folks a seamless experience and not publish "only available in the US", we chose a generic approach to be consistent.

The use of an invocation phrase "blue voice" is required when you are a skill and not a native integration. However native integration looses many of the features we have built. We made the choice to support a skill based dev so we could offer more features, and also be consistent around the globe on uses for the platform.

It also fits for our next and future voice implementations for consistency.

And looking at the data from what people are asking the units to do, we see some definite use patterns and will enhance those areas in future updates.

Andrew

SeppiE wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:48 am
Just using it with Amazon Music as I know that’s going to work with Alexa as it’s the same company but will be switching back to Tidal on my next billing cycle.

Cannot play local music beyond presets and playlist, I must however spend more time going through the commands to see what else I can do without driving my family mad, Skills document link...

https://support.bluos.net/hc/article_at ... _Guide.pdf
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you