Need help diagnosing dropouts

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
roadeye

Need help diagnosing dropouts

Post by roadeye » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Do you ever find yourself reminiscing about the days when you would put a CD into a player and be guaranteed 45 min of uninterrupted music. If not please share your home network set up with me. Please!

I have a Node 2 and Flex 2 connected via WiFi, FLAC files on a WD NAS (wired to router), Apple Airport Extreme router, Spotify and Tidal accounts. Lately I have been noticing frequent dropouts when listening to Tidal (hi-res), and to a lesser extent, Spotify. My guess is it might be my internet service as I do occasionally notice issues when one of my kids starts watching youtube on his device. But before I go yelling at my provider (or worse switch over to another provider that boasts fiber optic speed) is there any way I can diagnose where the problem lies?

Tha....in adv...ce.

Rob

SeppiE

Re: Need help diagnosing dropouts

Post by SeppiE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi Rob,

Prior to this two months ago my Apple equipment was rock solid.

I was using an Airport Extreme and the Time Capsule version but had been experiencing network dropouts, a slow down of connection speed to the AE / TM

Affer factory resets / reconfigurations I gave up and set up both devices as hubs with no wifi broadcast and switched over to my ISP’s router and not had any issues since (althought the router does keep dropping the Internet PPoE connection) I think the Apple devices are end of life for me and now looking to get an Ubiquiti Access point connected to one of their routers.

If you have a spare router its worth configuring it with the same SSID / password as your AE and swapping it in to test.

PS I also have a WD NAS so almost identical setup.

dtougas

Post by dtougas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:41 pm

I have found that every three years or so my home wifi system degrades to the point where I have to do a complete overhaul. I start ou complaining about my ISP, then my kids Netflix and YouTube watching and eventually (after much testing) realize that it is my router/access point. I recently went through this routine again and replaced a single Netgear wireless router with a Ubiquii EdgeRouter and Unifi access point. In addition to the better hardware, this setup enabled me to place the access point in a more central location. All my problems vanished. I am in love with my network again.

I have found the combination of more devices on the network combined with old hardware and less-than-ideal coverage leads to bottlenecks in network throughput and hance latency issues.

roadeye

Post by roadeye » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:07 am

Thank you both for the input. Out of curiosity I contacted my ISP and discovered I was on their slowest DSL plan of 6Mbps. For a small increase I bumped it up to a 15 Mbps and will see how that goes.