Disappearing Bluesound Players

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
Roamingstudio

Re: Disappearing Bluesound Players

Post by Roamingstudio » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:09 am

Sorry Tony

I updated on Thursday and also see the same issue today today.

My windows computer and android devices always see all devices whenever the network changes.
My iPhone only ever sees the last active device

Interesting to note: my iPhone also looses a lot of battery when the BluOs app only sees one device. Is it possible the app is not doing a clean exit but rather a thread is still running - which blocks the app next time from seeing all devices.

What would you like us to report to support?
I really really don't want to hear "reboot routers and switches" because it's not the Bluesound devices at fault.

I also know Apple love to modify API's

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:07 am

If you don’t mind entering in your wifi credentials again it might be worth resetting wifi in iOS, this will not erase anyrhing else.

Settings...General...Reset...Reset Network Settings

RobA

Post by RobA » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:31 pm

SeppiE wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:07 am
If you don’t mind entering in your wifi credentials again it might be worth resetting wifi in iOS, this will not erase anyrhing else.

Settings...General...Reset...Reset Network Settings
I did that after the last update on my own as an additional debug measure and the issue still repeated. Typically the last used player displays for the most part....I did disable the AI protection on my asus router and it did help, but the problem still occurs a least once a day.

Also, the volume up button command (not the slider) also appears to be broken. I use this often as it is a bit awkward to use the slider when jogging on a treadmill. If you max out the volume on the iPad or iPhone itself, you will be unable to continuously raise the volume when pushing the volume up button. If you lower the volume on the iPad, you will be able to control the volume, but you’ll be in for a surprise when your iPad/phone volume is maxed out while adjusting the volume up on your bluesound devices.

Roamingstudio

Post by Roamingstudio » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:43 am

This thread should probably be moved to "iOS connectivity issues"

Same problem again this morning. But rather than get frustrated I decided to "send my support request" via the app.
- start BluOS app
- see only one device listed (master of a group started via a button press on a flex)
- reboot app
- same issue. So lots send the support request
- it took me about 4 minutes to compose via the app (always in the foreground)
- after Sending the request only the single device was seen - but then spontaneously all appeared without me changing network.

So to those people seeing this issue
- do you regularly delete apps running in the background?
- if you see this issue can you keep the app open for 5 minutes in the foreground (no lock screen). Don't change networks - or switch to other apps.
- can you see if the list regenerates around at around 4-5 minutes?

Note: this might not be a direct Bluesound issue: iOS could be returning prematurely from an IP ping request - or depending upon how devices are discovered; the api might be timing out and then the list is regenerated.

Unfortunately I could not replicate this after the 5 minutes. I'll look again later today

The second issue to try is to keep the app in the backend with the list of players open and then move to a network where the players are not seen. I would expect the list to be deleted.
Then move back to the network where the list should be - keeping the app in the background.
- Does it then see the devices?
- does it then take 5 minutes to rediscover them?

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi Roamingstudio

Please continue sharing this information with our Support Crew at support@bluesound.com as they may have some follow up feedback.
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

Purple

Post by Purple » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 am

Hello there,

It is the same thing here. All my players are loosing the connection with my apple devices. After turning off and on the wlan they are back for some time. I have also problems with streaming from my NAS. There are drop outs and sometimes the connection is gone at all.
I am in contact with the support but due to weekend I guess I have to wait.
Before the last update everything was running fine for more than one year.

All the best
Purple

Roamingstudio

Post by Roamingstudio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 am

And shared with support - has anyone seen anything similar ?
iOS BluOS app sees all devices
I play Spotify onto my room (PowerNode 2)
I stop music via the BluOS
I still see all devices and put mobile onto charge and go running 🏃‍♀️

When I returned the mobile had not changed network
BluOS only saw my last device (PowerNode 2)

Spotify on the same iOS device can see all devices and I can start a stream anywhere in the flat
BluOS still see's only one device
Tony: diagnostic report sent to Kyle

It's frustrating not because of the service but because I can't find a reliable way to replicate - and it is only with the latest build of the app / iOS 11.4.1

RobA

Post by RobA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:35 pm

I’ve been in touch with support the last several days. They advised to download an iNet network scanner app to check which services are running. When I can’t see the players, they show no bonjour services within the app. However, when I simply toggle the WiFi on my tablet, the services reappear again: _musc, -sovi-mfg, & Spotify connect. My tablet has no issues streaming videos, etc, but the players are simply not able to be seen after a period of time.

At this stage, they asked me what the make and model of my router is and if I have the latest firmware (yes). I’m hoping that it’s not another rehash of my router not being compatible, etc with a slew of things to try. That’s what happened about a month ago. Thanks again to others out there sharing info, it’s much appreciated!

Roamingstudio

Post by Roamingstudio » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm

I'll try iNet tonight when I get home

I have been trying many things which would replicate the scenarios and found nothing obvious. However "a period of time" with BluOS in background mode after using Spotify connect does seem to be a regular coincidence.

An iPad which doesn't have Spotify on it never seems to loose connection. But then it also never needs to change networks (stays in lounge).

As the routers and switches have not changed in over a year and were previously stable I would be surprised to find them at fault. Especially as iOS / BluOS and Spotify connect have all had major updates.

When you can't see your network players In BluOS can you still see them all from the SpotifyApp?

AlfaGTV

Post by AlfaGTV » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:21 pm

I also see the disappearing act happen on my iPhone (6), but not on my iPad(2018).
It's always my Vault that disappears, the Soundbar is always visible. The Vault is connected via an ethernet cable to an Airport Express and the Soundbar via WLAN.