Disappearing Bluesound Players

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
RobA

Disappearing Bluesound Players

Post by RobA » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 pm

A few months ago, I had to replace my previous 5 year old Asus router (RT-AC87U) with a newer Asus RT-AC3100 unit. The transition was a little challenging at first with the previous router not giving me any issues with connectivity with my Bluesound devices: Node 2 (wired), Powernode 2 (wireless), Pulse Flex (wireless) for well over a year. After figuring out to disable airtime fairness on the new router, I've had no issues with players disappearing on the network for a few months up until a few weeks ago.

I've been in contact with support via email and the problems they were suggesting were with my networking equipment, and Asus was mentioned as one problem product, particularly with multicast traffic and IGMP snooping. After looking through the long list of network setup items to address from support, my router was definitely not happy with adjusting the settings to the "liking" of the Bluesound devices. IGMP snooping enabled on the wireless band caused my entire 2.4 GHz wireless network to slow to a crawl and disconnect devices. I did also check the optimize for xbox and since then, I still have dropouts on my Apple devices in the App. The last device used still appears in the app, although the remaining players are still attached to the network and can be pinged, but do not show in the Bluesound App. Toggling WiFi on/off on the device fixes the problem for a while (either phone or iPad) and the remaining players show up in addition to the last used player. I even removed the repeater used on my network to boost the signal and the results have been the same. I've set static IPs as I have done on my previous router and have "band steering" disabled as well.

When asking tech support for advice on approved routers, mesh routers, etc, I had two possible options on mesh systems: Ubiquiti Unifi and Netgear Orbi, which handle mutlticast traffic. Google Wifi was not recommended as it did not support multicast traffic, although a recent firmware update in June seems to be addressing those concerns via update 10452.90.12. I was also unsure on one in particular regarding the Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD mesh network. Does the Amplifi mesh system work?

I'd like to see how other Bluesound users online are setting up their networks, wireless routers, mesh networks connected, etc. I haven't had a single problem with any other devices on my network, but just getting the 3 players to display in the app has been the only single problem I've had for well over the past week. Based on the information I've received from support, it seems that I have to be a network engineer to truly enjoy the "audiophile" Bluesound experience. The hardware seems great, but the experience is quite frustrating and becoming increasingly not worth the trouble.

vlrdngr

Re: Disappearing Bluesound Players

Post by vlrdngr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:52 pm

FYvvM

braino

Post by braino » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm

RobA wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 pm
The hardware seems great, but the experience is quite frustrating and becoming increasingly not worth the trouble.
I too have felt like that. I've got 6 Bluesound devices on my network and one more waiting for a renovation to complete before it's added.

I currently have an Actiontec router provided by my ISP along with 3 'wifi boosters' –– also from the ISP –– to create a mesh network. This has been the most stable network so far for my Bluesound players. Prior to this setup I had the Actiontec then an Apple Airport Time Capsule and 2 Airport Extremes to extend the network. Players would hop from one device to another with regularity and vanish from the BluOS app.

The Bluesound players do occasionally move from one of the 'boosters' to another, there doesn't appear to be a method to make them stick to one. It seems to occur when ungrouping or reconnecting to a previously grouped set. I can see devices connected to each 'booster' though the wireless Bluesound players show as NULL whereas the wired ones display the player name. When a Bluesound player disappears in BluOS I use the previous version of BluOS to show my other players and reboot the one that's disappeared, if that doesn't work I reboot the device manually – the player then appears in BluOS 99% of the time.

I've had many support requests regarding this and other issues and the support crew do blame network issues for most problems – even when the network looks fine locally.

Whether the problem is the wifi chip in the players or some issue with the OS, I'd really like to see it fixed. Its the achilles heel of the system. Still, that Lumin system that vlrdngr covets is nearly $10k per unit. Not in my price range for a multi-room system.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 |Opera Duetto| PSB CS500

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:22 am

braino wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm
Still, that Lumin system that vlrdngr covets is nearly $10k per unit. Not in my price range for a multi-room system.
The big one is out of my league as well. I want the Lumin D2, $2300. I'll even sell my Schiit DAC for it when the time comes...
FYvvM

braino

Post by braino » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 am

vlrdngr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:22 am
I want the Lumin D2, $2300.
$2300 x 7 for me would be too much.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 |Opera Duetto| PSB CS500

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:44 am

Heh... Ditto! ;)
FYvvM

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:21 am

RobA wrote:
I'd like to see how other Bluesound users online are setting up their networks, wireless routers, mesh networks connected, etc.
I use TP-Link Deco M5 mesh network system for 4 wireless Pulse Flex units and (previously) 1 wireless BluOS enabled NAD T758v2. I have no disappearing players.

Best, KriHad
NAD T777v3 | Powernode | Pulse Soundbar2i | Pulse Mini2i | Pulse Flex2i
Wireless via TP-Link Deco M5 | Lossless via Radio Paradise, Tidal and USB

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 am

KriHad wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:21 am
RobA wrote:
I'd like to see how other Bluesound users online are setting up their networks, wireless routers, mesh networks connected, etc.
I use TP-Link Deco M5 mesh network system for 4 wireless Pulse Flex units and (previously) 1 wireless BluOS enabled NAD T758v2. I have no disappearing players.

Best, KriHad
Been considering the Deco M5 as un upgrade soon as moving to a much larger house, currently use Apple Airport Extreme and a Time Capsule without issue but won’t reach the furthest bedroom so use a powerline adapter.

There is also now in the UK the “Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh WiFi System” which looks very promising.

Roamingstudio

Post by Roamingstudio » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Same setup here SeppiE - with some netgear switched - all devices Ethernet. I also been heavily recommended the Uniquity system.

I do have randomly disappearing players more often since the last update - but noticed it is because of WiFi hopping of my handy / smartphone (we have far tooo many routers in this building). Depending upon which base station it attaches to I see only the devices on "that side" of the network.

Rebooting the app or manually forcing the handy to the other base station helps.

Note - I use iOS devices.

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:42 pm

SeppiE wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 am
Been considering the Deco M5 as un upgrade soon .
Perhaps check up its bigger brother, M9 Plus: https://www.tp-link.com/dk/products/det ... -Plus.html
NAD T777v3 | Powernode | Pulse Soundbar2i | Pulse Mini2i | Pulse Flex2i
Wireless via TP-Link Deco M5 | Lossless via Radio Paradise, Tidal and USB