Fixed group vs single player

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
Gammelmark

Fixed group vs single player

Post by Gammelmark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:18 pm

In my livingroom/kitchen tree nodes are grouped into one fixed group. Works fine. However from time to time i just want one single node to play with a single set of speakers. To obtain this the fixed group must be deleted. It shold be possible to access all nodes including the fixed one. If a single node is activated. The active group is abandoned and only the single node i playing. When the fixed group is activated this will overrule any active nodes in the fixed group.
Seems to be rather intuitive - but maybe the technical issues i not that simple.

TonyW
Site Admin

Re: Fixed group vs single player

Post by TonyW » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Why create a fixed group them?

Simply group when needed and ungroup when desired. Bluesound Players remember their current grouping status from previous listening sessions. Players stay grouped until you ungroup.
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

Gammelmark

Post by Gammelmark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:01 pm

In this concern the "multi user" issue also must be taken into account. Wife and kids just want it simple. Making groups is for not experinced users just as annoying as updates, restarts and other issues that does not let thing work as it did yesterday ;)

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi Gammelmark

We actually design it with that in mind, so it does perform exactly as it did yesterday.

If you are having issues, please select Help, send support request or check out http://support.bluesound.com/
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

roadeye

Post by roadeye » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 pm

I have to echo the same as the original poster on this issue. I just upped the number of BS units in my small house to 3 and considering a 4th. I don’t understand why one player can’t be in more than one group, and once it is grouped you can’t single it out any more. I find this very strange.

Rob

Stelvio

Post by Stelvio » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 am

This is much the same observation as I posted earlier on, with no response:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4821&sid=6e27539c7c ... b617b8c7f3

With Bluesound, if you roll an endpoint into a fixed group, it is no longer directly addressable an a singular endpoint. That, to me, in a true multi-room ecosystem, is mind-bendingly absurd. But critically, it makes sense to Bluesound, and they are not interested in listening to the customers who think it does not. From my perspective, the way Chromecast does groups makes way more sense - you can create a group consisting of A,B&C but you can still play to A,B or C individually or you can play to group AB&C.

For me, the fixed grouping in Bluesound is useless, I have chosen to ignore it and just dynamically group as required. The only possible use I see for fixed groups is a home cinema setup or a stereo pair. Even then it's quite possible you might want to use the home cinema speakers separately, leaving only a true stereo pair as a use for the fixed groups. Maybe also an environment like a shop or function room where you always want to play from all speakers all the time. But not a normal house.

On the plus side, the 'dynamic grouping' in Bluesound is superb and way better than Chromecast, it is very quick to whack 2 or 3 players together. But you have to frig with the relative levels each time and it's just generally more annoying than having a chromecast style "speaker set" ready to select.

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

The concept of fixed groups was started to create a simple way for people to either stereo pair, or to create a home theatre. Ad hoc grouping is still generally easier and faster.

Grouping, in general, is something we keep making improvements on. Air Play 2 required changes for group handling and as we continue to roll out new AP2 compliant products it adds to that complexity.

The good news is that as you, our customers (speaking to all), keep adding more units then we need to accommodate more use cases.

More feedback is always good.
Stelvio wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 am
This is much the same observation as I posted earlier on, with no response:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4821&sid=6e27539c7c ... b617b8c7f3

With Bluesound, if you roll an endpoint into a fixed group, it is no longer directly addressable an a singular endpoint. That, to me, in a true multi-room ecosystem, is mind-bendingly absurd. But critically, it makes sense to Bluesound, and they are not interested in listening to the customers who think it does not. From my perspective, the way Chromecast does groups makes way more sense - you can create a group consisting of A,B&C but you can still play to A,B or C individually or you can play to group AB&C.

For me, the fixed grouping in Bluesound is useless, I have chosen to ignore it and just dynamically group as required. The only possible use I see for fixed groups is a home cinema setup or a stereo pair. Even then it's quite possible you might want to use the home cinema speakers separately, leaving only a true stereo pair as a use for the fixed groups. Maybe also an environment like a shop or function room where you always want to play from all speakers all the time. But not a normal house.

On the plus side, the 'dynamic grouping' in Bluesound is superb and way better than Chromecast, it is very quick to whack 2 or 3 players together. But you have to frig with the relative levels each time and it's just generally more annoying than having a chromecast style "speaker set" ready to select.
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you