Vault temperamental when ripping

Answers to Rip and CODEC playback issues
ballamory

Vault temperamental when ripping

Post by ballamory » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:49 pm

I own a Bluesound Vault, and whilst I am happy with the audio quality, the ripping is rather temperamental, to say the least.

A significant fraction of CDs simply do not rip. Sometimes they rip on the second, third, fourth attempt. Sometimes they never rip.

I have read that damage to the CDs can affect the ability to rip, but this phenomenon also occurs with brand new CDs, with pristine surfaces.

The impression I have is that the Vault itself sometimes is just not "in the mood" to rip CDs, and then the vast majority of rips fail, including CDs that have ripped successfully before.

Sometimes a hard reboot helps the situation. Sometimes it doesn't.

CDs that don't rip typically make a clanking sound whilst they time-out and are spat out, and never get up to full ripping speed where the disc whirs. The same CD may rip just fine at the next attempt, or it may take 5, 6 or 10 goes.

Are there tips available on how to improve the odds of ripping with Vault?

AndrewH
Site Admin

Re: Vault temperamental when ripping

Post by AndrewH » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Ballamory, please open a support ticket from the app. This may be a hardware issue or something else. the support crew can help to understand and solve the issue. Andrew

ballamory wrote:I own a Bluesound Vault, and whilst I am happy with the audio quality, the ripping is rather temperamental, to say the least.

A significant fraction of CDs simply do not rip. Sometimes they rip on the second, third, fourth attempt. Sometimes they never rip.

I have read that damage to the CDs can affect the ability to rip, but this phenomenon also occurs with brand new CDs, with pristine surfaces.

The impression I have is that the Vault itself sometimes is just not "in the mood" to rip CDs, and then the vast majority of rips fail, including CDs that have ripped successfully before.

Sometimes a hard reboot helps the situation. Sometimes it doesn't.

CDs that don't rip typically make a clanking sound whilst they time-out and are spat out, and never get up to full ripping speed where the disc whirs. The same CD may rip just fine at the next attempt, or it may take 5, 6 or 10 goes.

Are there tips available on how to improve the odds of ripping with Vault?
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

DrFly

Post by DrFly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am

Hello all,

I'm digging out this old thread as an uncomfortably high number of my CD's will not fully get ripped by my Vault 2i. After a long time in the Vault, the CD ejects and I get an error message explaining that the rip has taken too long and is being aborted. I end up with my library showing only a part of the ripped CD, the first few tracks being playable without issues but the end of the CD simply missing.

I suspect this might be connected with the fact that the problematic CD's tend to be those which "circulated" the most (i.e. were lent to friends, played at parties etc.) and are in a less perfect condition (a few superficial scratches). However, these CD's still play perfectly on my NAD CD player, so that it seems to me that the Vault 2i is excessively sensitive to CD imperfections.

Have others here experienced the same and, if so, did you find a workaround? Is there a setting that can be used to make the Vault a little less demanding with CD quality? Is repeating the ripping attempt several times helpful?

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am

I have a Vault 2i as well and do occasionally come across CD’s that will not rip due to dirt / scratches etc.

The CD player if It cannot read sections just skips that part, the missing section is so small you don’t hear that it’s missing but the Vault tries multiple times to read to get a bit perfect copy and naturally the rip fails if it cannot read the CD after a given time.

Firstly I clean the CD under running water and washing up liquid, rubbing well with my fingers, rinsing off well and drying on kitchen towel paper by dabbing so not to create any new scrathes.

If they still won’t rip I either buy from eBay a very cheap replacement copy (no more than about £1 in the UK) or take the CD to my local computer games store that has a CD refinishing machine but that cost £2 a go.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 am

Polishing the reading surface (not the label side!!!) of the cd with fine silver polish might do the trick. Use a microfiber cloth and be VERY patient (it's not a 3 minute job to do it properly). I have rescued quite a few cd's that way.
FYvvM

DrFly

Post by DrFly » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:06 am

Thank you both for the tips.

I do use a very soft cloth designed for CD's before inserting them into the Vault, but never got brave enough to put them under water or use washing up liquid, polish etc. for fear of actually making things worse.

I considered using my old MacBook to rip those less-than-pristine CD's (because the MacBook is proving less whimsical than the Vault) and then burn a copy on a new blank CD, which I would then rip from the Vault, but I was wondering whether I would not lose some quality in the process and thereby defeating the purpose of Bluesound and the Vault...

Also, I was wondering what would happen with the files that the Vault did manage to rip from those scratched CD's (usually about 50-75% of the songs do rip). Is the Vault smart enough to replace those "truncated albums" with the new full version (provided I eventually manage to successfully rip the whole CD) or will I end up with twice the same album, once full and once partial, and then have to get into the tedious process of cleaning up the Vault?

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:59 am

if you can make an identical copy using your Macbook then you wont loose any quality.

I used an internal drive about 10 yearsback to rip some badly scratched CDs but burnt out the CD drive in the process so now only ever use a cheap external drive. I suspect the the Vault gives up after a number of retrys to prolong its life.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 am

If you pop a CD back into the Vault it just overwrites the existing tracks. So if the CD became fully readable after cleaning you would just end up with the correct number of tracks.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:19 am

DrFly wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:06 am
Thank you both for the tips.

I do use a very soft cloth designed for CD's before inserting them into the Vault, but never got brave enough to put them under water or use washing up liquid, polish etc. for fear of actually making things worse.
It's no problem to wash a cd with mild detergent under handwarm water, I do it all the time. A friend of mine even put one in a dishwasher once (without using the diswasher soap), and it played fine. Just make sure it is free of soap (rinse really well) completely dry when you play it.
I am sure you have an old cd somewhere that you never play anymore. Make a few grease smudges on it, clean it with soap and see for yourself. Make a few (mild) scratches, do the polish thing. Practice makes perfect.
DrFly wrote:
I considered using my old MacBook to rip those less-than-pristine CD's (because the MacBook is proving less whimsical than the Vault) and then burn a copy on a new blank CD, which I would then rip from the Vault, but I was wondering whether I would not lose some quality in the process and thereby defeating the purpose of Bluesound and the Vault...
In theory any digital information does not change when copied. If it does something technical is wrong.
I for one do not like the vaults system. I use a NAS, which is backuped automatically once a week. Copying a cd to a mac to a blank cd to the vault is just wrong...
DrFly wrote:
Also, I was wondering what would happen with the files that the Vault did manage to rip from those scratched CD's (usually about 50-75% of the songs do rip). Is the Vault smart enough to replace those "truncated albums" with the new full version (provided I eventually manage to successfully rip the whole CD) or will I end up with twice the same album, once full and once partial, and then have to get into the tedious process of cleaning up the Vault?
If the guys from BS did everything logically any older version of a new file should be deleted. Alas they have shown not to always follow logic.
FYvvM

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am

vlrdngr wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:19 am
DrFly wrote:
If the guys from BS did everything logically any older version of a new file should be deleted. Alas they have shown not to always follow logic.
Actually, if the files were tagged correctly, the files are overwritten and replaced. File names are based on identified metadata. If not though, there is always our Support KB; https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us ... /200387457
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.