Vault temperamental when ripping

Answers to Rip and CODEC playback issues
ballamory

Vault temperamental when ripping

Post by ballamory » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:49 pm

I own a Bluesound Vault, and whilst I am happy with the audio quality, the ripping is rather temperamental, to say the least.

A significant fraction of CDs simply do not rip. Sometimes they rip on the second, third, fourth attempt. Sometimes they never rip.

I have read that damage to the CDs can affect the ability to rip, but this phenomenon also occurs with brand new CDs, with pristine surfaces.

The impression I have is that the Vault itself sometimes is just not "in the mood" to rip CDs, and then the vast majority of rips fail, including CDs that have ripped successfully before.

Sometimes a hard reboot helps the situation. Sometimes it doesn't.

CDs that don't rip typically make a clanking sound whilst they time-out and are spat out, and never get up to full ripping speed where the disc whirs. The same CD may rip just fine at the next attempt, or it may take 5, 6 or 10 goes.

Are there tips available on how to improve the odds of ripping with Vault?

AndrewH
Site Admin

Re: Vault temperamental when ripping

Post by AndrewH » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Ballamory, please open a support ticket from the app. This may be a hardware issue or something else. the support crew can help to understand and solve the issue. Andrew

ballamory wrote:I own a Bluesound Vault, and whilst I am happy with the audio quality, the ripping is rather temperamental, to say the least.

A significant fraction of CDs simply do not rip. Sometimes they rip on the second, third, fourth attempt. Sometimes they never rip.

I have read that damage to the CDs can affect the ability to rip, but this phenomenon also occurs with brand new CDs, with pristine surfaces.

The impression I have is that the Vault itself sometimes is just not "in the mood" to rip CDs, and then the vast majority of rips fail, including CDs that have ripped successfully before.

Sometimes a hard reboot helps the situation. Sometimes it doesn't.

CDs that don't rip typically make a clanking sound whilst they time-out and are spat out, and never get up to full ripping speed where the disc whirs. The same CD may rip just fine at the next attempt, or it may take 5, 6 or 10 goes.

Are there tips available on how to improve the odds of ripping with Vault?
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

DrFly

Post by DrFly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am

Hello all,

I'm digging out this old thread as an uncomfortably high number of my CD's will not fully get ripped by my Vault 2i. After a long time in the Vault, the CD ejects and I get an error message explaining that the rip has taken too long and is being aborted. I end up with my library showing only a part of the ripped CD, the first few tracks being playable without issues but the end of the CD simply missing.

I suspect this might be connected with the fact that the problematic CD's tend to be those which "circulated" the most (i.e. were lent to friends, played at parties etc.) and are in a less perfect condition (a few superficial scratches). However, these CD's still play perfectly on my NAD CD player, so that it seems to me that the Vault 2i is excessively sensitive to CD imperfections.

Have others here experienced the same and, if so, did you find a workaround? Is there a setting that can be used to make the Vault a little less demanding with CD quality? Is repeating the ripping attempt several times helpful?

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am

I have a Vault 2i as well and do occasionally come across CD’s that will not rip due to dirt / scratches etc.

The CD player if It cannot read sections just skips that part, the missing section is so small you don’t hear that it’s missing but the Vault tries multiple times to read to get a bit perfect copy and naturally the rip fails if it cannot read the CD after a given time.

Firstly I clean the CD under running water and washing up liquid, rubbing well with my fingers, rinsing off well and drying on kitchen towel paper by dabbing so not to create any new scrathes.

If they still won’t rip I either buy from eBay a very cheap replacement copy (no more than about £1 in the UK) or take the CD to my local computer games store that has a CD refinishing machine but that cost £2 a go.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 am

Polishing the reading surface (not the label side!!!) of the cd with fine silver polish might do the trick. Use a microfiber cloth and be VERY patient (it's not a 3 minute job to do it properly). I have rescued quite a few cd's that way.
FYvvM