Disappearing Bluesound Players

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
RobA

Re: Disappearing Bluesound Players

Post by RobA » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks to all for the information. The intention of my initial post is to help others out there with Bluesound products hopefully find networking equipment that works well with their system.

Netgear Orbi was also listed by Bluesound support, although their 90 day only support is not something I prefer....In all honesty, the last few months/over a year, I haven't had any issues with my iOS devices up until the latest iOS update a few weeks ago. Even mentioning that to support didn't seem to make a difference as they seemed to focus on my Asus router, even when my new router has worked fine for the last few months of daily use.

When Asus was listed as a product with reported problems, and listing issues with Google WiFi, Velop, Eero, etc....I was left wondering on what products actually do work with Bluesound. I find it hard to believe that a company would attempt to market these products to consumers and not work with some of the bigger players in WiFi/home networking. Bluesound is a tiny fish in a much larger ocean as far as I'm concerned and their software/firmware capabilities should scale up/down accordingly based on the capabilities of each home network. If not, document & list compatibility options to help the consumer make a good decision. It seems like a Go/No Go situation within their OS.

Just by looking at the overall reviews of the BluOS iOS app vs. Sonos, etc, it's a night versus day difference. They would likely reduce the amount of returned equipment/bad reviews if they improved their documentation.

Overall, I've been mostly happy with my Bluesound system, but I've stopped investing in more players and will likely downsize in a few years to simplify my system to cut overall costs.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:44 am

Hi RobA

Thanks for your candid feedback.

Each network in each home is different. That's why we put efforts into encouraging consumers to send in log files by selecting Help, Send Support Request in the App so we can personally attend to your network. It's not only the hardware of the router there are also environmental issues to consider; placing wireless players in oak cabinets is death to wireless signal strength. Especially is say the wall the cabinet is against is a load baring cinder block wall (which pretty much describes most walls in North Western Europe where we have great market penetration).

Keep in mind Bluesound does not up sample or down sample. You are getting the full signal and not relying on Variable Bit Rate like some low cost systems do. Being the Hi-Res Alternative to other mid-range multi-room streamers we are carrying larger traffic and packet loads as well given the packet load of a 24/96 file is about twice as large as a 16/44.1 file.

We are here to help and are listening. Please check out www.bluesound.com/network101 for some great tips and tricks and of course support@bluesound.com or Help, Send Support Request in the app where our BluOS Support Crew will help troubleshoot YOUR network and get best performance and make recommendations that fit you.
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

RobA

Post by RobA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 pm

Tony,

Thanks for the response, but that is not the issue at hand that I reported to support a few weeks ago. Right after an iOS update, I began to have issues with players disappearing on my Apple devices. Typically, the last used player is the one that shows up when my iPad or phone go idle or after I leave the house & return. In some instances, none of them show up. A simple toggle on/off on the WiFi will allow me to see the players again. The players are on the network, I can access the web interface and ping them......I am not suffering from dropouts when utilizing the players and 90% I play is basically CD quality audio. I can play video games online, stream for hours at 1080p with no stuttering/buffering....all seems just fine with my network.

The main problem I have is the fact I received an entire list of items (Multicast, IGMP Snooping, etc) that essentially blamed my router/network and I received no notification that they are investigating an actual issue with the BluOS app and the recent iOS update. No phone messages were answered, and no one answered the phone. I had to drag this out via email for several days with no resolution or an ETA of an update. I had to join this forum, and thankfully a great forum member here informed me of a similar issue that was occurring on his network.

The Bluesound players utilize multicast on a dated/congested 2.4 GHz band anyways, plus the fact that there isn't much network compatibility information that is easily available made me reach out to other members for support. Getting the players to actually show up is the weakest link in your system. Either way, most of my players were trouble free for over a year. It's frustrating to deal with support that is not easily accessible when a real issue occurs.

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:35 am

RobA wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 pm
It's frustrating to deal with support that is not easily accessible when a real issue occurs.
And when you finally do get a hold of them will blame everything else no matter how unrelated before even looking into the possibility that the customer might actually be right...
FYvvM

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Rob

I apologise for the frustration. It took us some time to reproduce the issue and sounds like you were among the first to report it after reviewing your case. As mentioned please see this thread; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4573&sid=cba5554d80 ... 58b#p21641

Look for that iOS update in the coming days or so. I also can't agree with you more that Player Discovery is the most important factor in product reliability. This is why we do in fact spend significant resources on this in both support and quality assurance. Unfortunately, some things do slip through cracks. This is why we are working as quickly as possible to resolve this issue. Also why when you first reported it, it migh thave been seen as something else.

I would hardly suggest 2.4Ghz is dated. In fact it is a newer technology than 5Ghz bands as was introduced to replace 5Ghz bands with the 802.11b standard. 5Ghz bands were in fact dropped until 802.11n because of their short range and lack of reliability in small areas that weren't near line of sight. They have been brought back to accommodate large payloads of video that would in fact block simple traffic due to its large payload but this mainly has to do with the lack of traffic rather than reliability. I liken this in seminars to Toll highways rather than free ways. Toll highways are 'faster' not because they are better - if you moved all your traffic to 5, you would still have the same problem.

All that being said, as suggested by support there is quite a bit to consider and not just which band when you are pumping non-down-sampled 24 bit music through your home at an average of 2-4 Mbs per second...

Thanks for your patience and for #LivingHiFi
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

RobA

Post by RobA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Tony,

Thanks for the info! I appreciate the follow up. I'm not planning on ditching my Bluesound setup. As I mentioned earlier, it has worked very well for over a year. I understand that it's the nature of running on different systems each with their own unique OS. Bugs can happen. I wanted to give constructive feedback on the issues that occurred. I'm looking forward to the software update.

As far as my favorite product, it's the Powernode 2. My wife uses it just about every day for a basic media setup with a subwoofer. The remote setup, combined with the optical input works great. It sounds great with movies. I also installed a Synology media server and integrated it into my Bluesound setup as well to take the load off of my router doubling as a media server. The help topics on the Bluesound website aided in the setup. I simply set a manual map to the network share.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Glad to hear Rob

Love hearing stories of those #LivingHiFi.

We started a slow release of the iOS update last night. Our Release Manager mentioned to me this morning that there were no immediate issues so the iOS Update is available wide now. Check the App Store for the update.

RobA

Post by RobA » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 am

Tony,

Unfortunately, the latest app update has not fixed my issue. My players seem to disappear at a much faster rate now. Previously, it took several hours, now, it may be an hour or two if that even. In fact, they are usually all gone now or one greyed out. The last time, usually the last used player would show up and could still be controlled. At the moment, my Pulse Flex is still playing music just fine, however, I cannot see it on my iPad until after I toggle WiFi again. I deleted and reinstalled the app, but even after my app updated and also after the delete/reinstall, the app was still unable to find anything until after I toggled WiFi on/off on my tablet.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am

Hi Rob

Please contact support@bluesound.com and we will help troubleshoot

vlrdngr

Post by vlrdngr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 am

TonyW wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm
We started a slow release of the iOS update last night. Our Release Manager mentioned to me this morning that there were no immediate issues so the iOS Update is available wide now. Check the App Store for the update.
Must be a very slow release, still nothing here.
FYvvM