Expected streaming speed for Tidal HiFi when working properly?

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
lovingdvd

Expected streaming speed for Tidal HiFi when working properly?

Post by lovingdvd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm

How many Mbps should I expect my Bluesound Node (original) use when streaming Tidal HiFi MQA over an Ethernet connection?

I recently started having issues out of the blue with audio dropouts, which last a few seconds and happen every 15 seconds or so. When watching the iOS app playbar at the time it will show its timestamp like 1:04, 1:05, 1:06 then when the dropout happens it will keep going to say 1:06, 1:08:, 1:09, then jump back to 1:06 and continue. Then the issue will happen again in about 15 seconds.

Other devices on this same wired network and at the same unmanaged switch are getting 240 Mbps to the internet (capacity is 250Mbps). And I am not having any issues streaming Netflix or Amazon Video at 16-20Mbps, with my media streamers are connected to this same switch.

At the time the dropouts are happening, my router shows that the Node is only pulling data at about 500-700Kbps. When things are playing well it shows me that it is pulling data at around 1.7 - 1.9 Mbps. Tho even 1-2 Mbps seems really slow, but perhaps it is sufficient and what should be expected for MQA audio?

So in summary my questions are:

1. What is the expected streaming rate that the Node should use when pulling Tidal HiFi MQA audio?

2. What could be happening to cause the Node to start pulling data much slower, like around 500 Kbps? This just started the other night and has persisted. As noted above, I can plug my laptop into the same Ethernet port that the Node is plugged in and do a speed test and get 240Mbps reliably every time.

3. What troubleshooting or other steps would you recommend?

4. Is it possible the issue is within the Node or Tidal streaming cloud, some sort of bottleneck or other such server-end issue?

Thank you!

SeppiE

Re: Expected streaming speed for Tidal HiFi when working properly?

Post by SeppiE » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:36 am

Tidal does at times have issues... you could try

Removing the Tidal account and adding it again.

Power cycle your Node and router in the hope that you pickup a different and more reliable Tidal server.

Contact / log a support call with Bluesound and they will be able to see what the issue is.

The data rates sound about right, MQA is compressed and much smaller than a hires music file.

lovingdvd

Re: Expected streaming speed for Tidal HiFi when working properly?

Post by lovingdvd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you. I submitted a support case to Bluesound. They got back to me and said my logs showed outputUnderrun messages, which typically means a problem with the network. But he went on to then say that they have had a number of reports recently of this issue with Tidal customers and had reported it to Tidal, as did other Tidal customers, and I have now done the same. During the day today I was measuring about 1.7 2.0 Mbps of bandwidth through the Dune. Tonight I am seeing < 1 Mbps and in some cases down around 400-500 Kbps. Considering that it is now prime-time, compared to earlier today when the bandwidth was higher, it seems to suggest a possible bandwidth issue from Tidal or their ISP partners. It will be interested to see how this plays out.