Will It Work Better?

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
RiCats

Will It Work Better?

Post by RiCats » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

I have been told by another Node2 user that his connection stability and apparent speed when switching between music services and library selections has improved by using a WiFi extender and then an Ethernet cable to connect to the Node2. His original configuration was WiFi wireless from a router elsewhere in his house. Is there an advantage to using an extender close to the Node 2 and then a wired connection from it? My interest is in performance and sound quality not so much stability as I almost never have pauses or dropouts.
Thanks

TonyW
Site Admin

Re: Will It Work Better?

Post by TonyW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi RiCats

As always in these cases, please contact The Bluesound Support Crew. See my signature on how easy it is to reach out...
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

bobmeinhard

Post by bobmeinhard » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:56 pm

RiCats wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am
I have been told by another Node2 user that his connection stability and apparent speed when switching between music services and library selections has improved by using a WiFi extender and then an Ethernet cable to connect to the Node2. His original configuration was WiFi wireless from a router elsewhere in his house. Is there an advantage to using an extender close to the Node 2 and then a wired connection from it? My interest is in performance and sound quality not so much stability as I almost never have pauses or dropouts.
Thanks
If you are not experiencing pauses or dropouts now, I would not change anything. Using an extender and an ethernet cable to your Node 2 will not "make the sound better"... This would be the way to go only if you were experiencing performance or stability problems.
Node 2 | Auralic Aries Mini | Mytek Brooklyn DAC | Parasound A21 | Thiel CS2 2/B&W 705 | Schiit Asgard 2 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro | Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx
Node 2 | Parasound Zamp v3 | Thiel CS .5
Pulse 2 | Pulse Mini | Pulse Flex

RiCats

Post by RiCats » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 am

Will there be any improvement in sound quality by using a hardwired Ethernet connection from router to Node2?
Thanks

KriHad

Post by KriHad » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:31 am

RiCats wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 am
Will there be any improvement in sound quality by using a hardwired Ethernet connection from router to Node2?
Thanks
Best if you try yourself, see what improvements you find, if any. :)

Best, KriHad
Heos AVR w/ LG C7 | Pulse Soundbar 2i w/ Samsung NU8 | Pulse Mini 2i |
2x Pulse Flex 2i w/ Battery packs and Skins | 1x Pulse Flex 2i w/ Wall mount

bobmeinhard

Post by bobmeinhard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:50 am

RiCats wrote:
Thanks
Based on my experience, no. However, some people claim to be able to hear a difference. I have a couple of Bluesound units that I have hardwired, but only because I was experiencing dropouts using wireless.
Node 2 | Auralic Aries Mini | Mytek Brooklyn DAC | Parasound A21 | Thiel CS2 2/B&W 705 | Schiit Asgard 2 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro | Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx
Node 2 | Parasound Zamp v3 | Thiel CS .5
Pulse 2 | Pulse Mini | Pulse Flex

RiCats

Post by RiCats » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks for that. It is as I expected. The Flac. files are digital and their transmission to the Node2 via WiFi should be accurate excepting dropouts from the radio broadcasting from the router. The Node2 DAC and circuitry is responsible for the analogue quality as I understand the process. Since pulling a new Ethernet line involves some labor and cost, the idea of give it a try though true enough is easier said that done.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 am

RiCats wrote:
A definitive No. 1s and 0s are 1s and 0s regardless of the delivery method.
bobmeinhard wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:50 am
I have a couple of Bluesound units that I have hardwired, but only because I was experiencing dropouts using wireless.
If you are hearing anything, it is as Bob suggested, weak wireless signals causing audio dropouts. Here are ways to help; https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/ ... /206350417
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

RiCats

Post by RiCats » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for those links Tony. I checked my WiFi with the diagnostic icon. By moving the router about 8" I was able to improve the signal strength from -67 to -49. Off to listen to some music.