Bluesound "VAULT 2” or "NODE 2”?

Discuss wired, wireless and powerline networking with Bluesound.
oli4

Bluesound "VAULT 2” or "NODE 2”?

Post by oli4 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:01 am

Which one should I get? Bluesound "VAULT 2” or "NODE 2”? Here is what I have and what I want.

I have:
- NAD M32 with BluOS built in
- Lots of CDs (2-3000)
- Lots of FLAC (3-4TB)

I want:
- rip all my CDs to FLAC
- ideally connect my HD with all the FLAC files to “some device” and have them in a playlist. (Ideally not my MAC)

Questions:
- VAULT or NODE
- Can I connect another HD without actually importing it.
- if I can connect a other HD can I add to the playlist
- is there a limit of files and/or folders that Bluesound devices can handle? ( I read somewhere it can handle >200’000 songs, not sure were I saw that)

bobmeinhard

Re: Bluesound "VAULT 2” or "NODE 2”?

Post by bobmeinhard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 am

oli4 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:01 am
Which one should I get? Bluesound "VAULT 2” or "NODE 2”? Here is what I have and what I want.

I have:
- NAD M32 with BluOS built in
- Lots of CDs (2-3000)
- Lots of FLAC (3-4TB)

I want:
- rip all my CDs to FLAC
- ideally connect my HD with all the FLAC files to “some device” and have them in a playlist. (Ideally not my MAC)

Questions:
- VAULT or NODE
- Can I connect another HD without actually importing it.
- if I can connect a other HD can I add to the playlist
- is there a limit of files and/or folders that Bluesound devices can handle? ( I read somewhere it can handle >200’000 songs, not sure were I saw that)
If you want simplicity, get a Vault 2 to rip and play all your music, but that is pretty pricey since you have already invested in the BluOS module for the M32, correct? Another solution is to use PC software like dBPoweramp to rip your CDs to your external HD and then play your content through your NAD M32. This would work especially well if you already have a good NAS unit in your system. If you did this, you don't need a Vault or a Node (assuming you want only 1 zone). Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions. Bob
Node 2 | Auralic Aries Mini | Mytek Brooklyn DAC | Parasound A21 | Thiel CS2 2/B&W 705 | Schiit Asgard 2 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro | Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx
Node 2 | Parasound Zamp v3 | Thiel CS .5
Pulse 2 | Pulse Mini | Pulse Flex

oli4

Post by oli4 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 am

Thanks Bob, this helps already a lot. For the moment I do not have a NAS yet. Seems though this is a way to go especially if you have a lot of titles you want to acces.
  • If you use a NAS; how do you search through your NAS files/songs? Any sort of app that is easy to use, were one can make playlists and such. I would like to search through Artists, genres, years etc.
  • Also is there any "risk" in streaming the music from your NAS to your amplifier? I mean dropouts or quality related issues? If I am not mistaken the FLAC file is sent as is to your amplifier and there it is uncompressed and played.
  • which NAS? I had thought to use a NAS about 1 year ago, but there are millions of NAS. Not the slightest idea which one to use. I assume 2 HD to have a constant copy. But then I'm lost. Any recommendations?

braino

Post by braino » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 am

oli4 wrote:
• If you use a NAS; how do you search through your NAS files/songs? Any sort of app that is easy to use, were one can make playlists and such. I would like to search through Artists, genres, years etc.
The BluOS app does most of those things. Search through the library on the NAS, make and save playlists.
Artist and Genres: yes, Years: not yet.
• Also is there any "risk" in streaming the music from your NAS to your amplifier? I mean dropouts or quality related issues? If I am not mistaken the FLAC file is sent as is to your amplifier and there it is uncompressed and played.
Dropouts rarely occur on a wireless connection and generally only if there is interference on the network. If your wireless connection is strong then this won't be an issue. I have my Node 2 wired and 3 Pulses wirelessly connected – high bit rate files (192 kHz) are more prone to wireless droupouts due to the bandwidth they require.
• which NAS? I had thought to use a NAS about 1 year ago, but there are millions of NAS. Not the slightest idea which one to use. I assume 2 HD to have a constant copy. But then I'm lost. Any recommendations?
Synology and QNAP both have good inexpensive 2-bay NAS for home networking. Western Digital have simpler products they sell as home NAS. You could even just connect a USB drive containing your library to your router. Bluesound support will guide you through the process of making the connection once you have your library on your network.
If you are comfortable ripping your own files to a computer I'd recommend using a NAS over a Vault.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 | B&W 685 S2 | PSB CS500

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:38 pm

I ripped my CD's using a Mac, but at the time there was only 600 of them. It took a bloody long time and then required me to edit tags and add artwork.

Starting again with a larger quantity of CD's I would not hesitate to buy a Vault to not only save time but my sanity.

Your existing FLAC files can just be copied to a cheap NAS and indexed by Bluesound, the Vauts drive won't have enough capacity for the CD's and FLAC's.

You have a lot of CD's and existing FLAC files, would strongly suggest to contact Bluesound support and make sure all your music will import / index.

bobmeinhard

Post by bobmeinhard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 am

oli4 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 am
Thanks Bob, this helps already a lot. For the moment I do not have a NAS yet. Seems though this is a way to go especially if you have a lot of titles you want to acces.
Highly recommend Synology NAS products. Since you are just starting out with a NAS, I would suggest looking at the 2-Bay model called the DS216. I am on my 3rd Synolgy NAS now and they have all been great products. Ripping your CDs is a chore, but using dBPoweramp makes it much easier. Others have answered your other questions - let us know if you have any more and happy listening! Bob
Node 2 | Auralic Aries Mini | Mytek Brooklyn DAC | Parasound A21 | Thiel CS2 2/B&W 705 | Schiit Asgard 2 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro | Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx
Node 2 | Parasound Zamp v3 | Thiel CS .5
Pulse 2 | Pulse Mini | Pulse Flex