best Mac software for metadata

Discussions on cataloguing your music collection from artists to album artwork.
Bjorn

Re: best Mac software for metadata

Post by Bjorn » Sun May 06, 2018 12:50 pm

kuijp wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:33 am
I’ve been tagging for years with Yate to my full satisfaction. There isn’t anything this program can’t deal with. It isn’t freeware, but definitively worth every penny.

https://2manyrobots.com/yate/
I have missed that software. Looks very competent = I definetly need to play around with it a bit. Thanks for the tip :-)
Björn
Running Bluesound Node 2, 2 Pulse mini and a Pulse Flex
Bluesound apps for iPad, iPhone and OSX

Wilford

Post by Wilford » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 am

Using Meta - music tag editor myself.
You will find it in App Store on MAC.
Samsung UE70KU6075 - Denon AVR-4520 - OPPO UDP-203
Bluesound Node 2 - Apple TV 4k - Xbox One X Scorpio

Patos Lyric 502 - Cerwin Vega E76C - Patos Lyric SUB 10 - Dali R1000

Bjorn

Post by Bjorn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Wilford wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 am
Using Meta - music tag editor myself.
You will find it in App Store on MAC.
Meta is very nice but sadly no support to calculate replay gain and the author had no plans to add it :-(
Björn
Running Bluesound Node 2, 2 Pulse mini and a Pulse Flex
Bluesound apps for iPad, iPhone and OSX

DrFly

Post by DrFly » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:01 am

Hello everyone,

Digging up this thread as I just understood I would need to use a third-party software to correct some erroneous metadata on a few of the CD I ripped with my Vault 2i (the retailer definetely did not describe it this way and my initial understanding was that I would just find an editing function in the BluOS app itself, which sounded pretty reasonable, but anyway...).

Now that I got past my initial surprise, does anyone here know whether one software in particular (or a couple) is recommended by Bluesound themselves as compatible/easy to use with the Vault 2i?

Also, is there really no such thing as a user's manual published by Bluesound as to how to correct erroneous/missing metadata (in my case, a couple CD's simply display artist/title which have nothing to do with the actual music on the disc...)? Or have I lost my way in the various forum/support pages?

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 am

Bluesound have in the past liked Bliss and I continue to use it to make adjustments. The BlissHq website has a lot of helpful information regarding tagging in the blog post section, just scroll down to the very bottom of the page for categories.

ronlangara

Post by ronlangara » Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm

This thread has been useful to me in the past and is still. As I see it, the Vault 2 does a so/so job of adding metadata. After buying my Vault-2 one and a half years ago I ripped my 3-400 CD's. The collection is predominantly classical with 5% popular and 10% jazz. Probably 80-90% went through without major problems. A few wouldn't rip at all. That was a different story.

I then realized all the metadata problems and looked for solutions. Based on the recommendation here from Bluesound I purchased Bliss and struggled with it for a year. I never found it to be for me. It is very slow to update even on a local (iMac OSX) copy of the library of music. It's defaults of changing things made some of the Vault's errors better, some worse, and mostly adding to my distrust of these systems. The support was good but I eventually decided against continuing with it.

Around that time I saw the recommendation of the Tag editor program and bought it. It worked well for quick modification of tags on an album at a time basis. I cleaned up a lot of the remaining errors in my library with it. That still left a large job to fix the many problems.

About a month ago I saw the recommendation here for the Yate software. I downloaded the trial version which is time limited to two weeks. It is extremely powerful. More there than I could do justice to here and certainly not in my use of it. It allows simple user interface modifications or batch programming if you are so inclined (I was not). I emailed the author a few questions and he was prompt in his responses and helpful, even offering to help with some automated clean up of the numerous mispellings of composers names. I agreed and followed his suggestions and he provided scripts and lo and behold, nearly two years later I can search the vault and find all of Beethoven or Bach in one spot. A pleasant outcome at last, so I bought my third metadata editor. I hope to now work on some of the other errors in my library.

One thing I really like is being able to load the entire library into the program, scrolling through looking for certain things to correct, and saving it right there. I do this on the copy and then upload it to the Vault and reindex.

Now if Bluesound would add support the "Movement" and "Movement Number" tags I would be very happy. Even better would be to allow us to select the metadata we wish to have displayed in the IOS and OSX controller software.