Organizing Multi-Disc Albums in iTunes

Discussions on cataloguing your music collection from artists to album artwork.
DBG1966

Organizing Multi-Disc Albums in iTunes

Post by DBG1966 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 pm

I have a Node 2i on the way to replace a Squeezebox classic. I organize my music in iTunes on an iMac. I have a substantial number of multi-disc albums and concerts downloads which I keep sorted in iTunes by giving each disc the same album name but tagging the disk as "__ of ___" (this typically is handled automatically by iTunes when you rip a disc). This works fine in iTunes and the Squeezebox server but my two other streaming devices (a Denon AVR and a Sony Blu-Ray player) jumble the tracks so that all of the "track 1s" from the various discs in the album are listed first, then the "track 2s" etc. Hardly the way I want to listen to a live concert recording. How is this handled by Bluesound? Do I need to separate out each disk (i.e. Live at Filmore East (Disc 1), number all the tracks in the album sequentially, or will the iTunes tags work to keep this stuff organized? I'm in the process of re-ripping a substantial number of CDs to ALAC in anticipation of the Node and want them to be tagged correctly.

braino

Re: Organizing Multi-Disc Albums in iTunes

Post by braino » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 am

DBG1966 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 pm
How is this handled by Bluesound?
I'm not certain how iTunes tags the albums though in the screengrabs below the Dylan Biograph came straight over from my old iTunes library and it shows each disk. Each track is associated correctly with the appropriate disk in a series.

I rip CD's now with XLD and use the free MusicBrainz Picard to correct any mis-tagged tracks.
1.jpg
1.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 526 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 526 times
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 | B&W 685 S2 | PSB CS500

DBG1966

Post by DBG1966 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 am

It appears that each disc is separately named, i.e. Biograph (Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.). I can go through my multi-disc albums and concerts and rename the individual discs if necessary, but would prefer not to. I am reluctant to leave the iTunes ecosystem because I use it to downsample my ALAC files to 264 AAC in order to fit my entire library on my phone (for car playback).

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:52 pm

We use ID3 tags like all other music systems (outside of iTunes which does some funky internal tweaks...)

We read the Disc and the Of tags too. Make Sure Album is same name on Disc 1 and Disc 2 (Dylan's Biography in your screen shot has 3 different Disc names, 1 for each disc...)
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

DBG1966

Post by DBG1966 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Tony, thank you for the response. The screenshots were Braino's posts and not representative of my naming conventions. Am I correct to read your comment that that as long as the album has the same album name for all discs (i.e. "Europe '72," and not "Europe '72 (Disc 1)" and "Europe '72 (Disc 2)," and the ___ of ___ disc information is filled in, the tracks on the separate discs will appear in the proper sequence? I'm just trying to anticipate any tweaks to my collection in order to make it ready for Bluesound (which comes on Thursday, yeah!) and would like to avoid having to go back and edit the names on hundreds of discs. I appreciate your help.

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 am

:D
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

ruud76

Post by ruud76 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Yes, that’s how I use it and that works perfect - both in iTunes as well as in BluOS. Just make sure the album title and album artist are exactly the same on all tracks from one multi-disc album.
DBG1966 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm
Am I correct to read your comment that that as long as the album has the same album name for all discs (i.e. "Europe '72," and not "Europe '72 (Disc 1)" and "Europe '72 (Disc 2)," and the ___ of ___ disc information is filled in, the tracks on the separate discs will appear in the proper sequence?
[ NAD C 390DDv2 | DD-BluOS | KEF R700 | Synology DS415+ | Ubiquiti UniFi ]

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Just to confim this works for me.

I copy the Album Title and then paste it into the additional albums to make sure 100% they are named identically.

braino

Post by braino » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm

DBG1966 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 am
It appears that each disc is separately named, i.e. Biograph (Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.).
That's my preferred method since I have some collections like Dylan's Cutting Edge that are 18 CD's and Bach Collegium Japan's Bach Cantatas that run over 55 discs. I don't think there's a 'right' way to do this, just user preference. I find it easier to locate the music I seek this way.

So I use MusicBrainz to edit the metadata for my organizational idiosyncrasies.
| Node 2 | Pulse | Pulse Mini x 2 | Pulse Flex 2i | Pulse Flex x 2 | NAD T755 | NAD C 272 | B&W CDM SE |
| Schiit Bifrost Multibit | NAD C 368 | MDC BluOS 2 | B&W 685 S2 | PSB CS500