google play music

Discuss, suggest and recommend streaming services for Bluesound.
randle

Re: google play music

Post by randle » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm

sticknpuck wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 pm
Any update on this? Seems a couple of integral services are missing from the Bluesound streaming offering. I really want to continue to purchase BS products but not being able to get integration with some major music services makes me wondering how they will be able to stay relevant.
They're getting there though. Alexa integration here shortly. Airplay 2 chip baked into the new products. I'm thinking once they get those things running smooth, Google Cast is next on the list. Makes sense to me! Bluesound's future lies as a destination for music (and a manager of sources).

I was thinking about it today and I just don't think I'm going to have local hi-res files for many more years. In 10 years time, playing those lossless files will be like dusting off a CD or cassette. In fact, let's be honest - that is almost how it is for me most days. In fact, voice control of music with intelligent recognition of genre, tempo, mood, similar artists...etc will be where it is at. I'd love to be able to say, play some music to cheer me up/calm me down/to dance to/to wake me up/for my run, or play me some artists similar to Radio Head that I've never heard before... or play me a sample of the top 5 performances of Beethoven's 5th Symphony

Google has a useful voice assistant which you can have conversation with (I use it for my shopping list). This would provide a foundation to browse artists and music using voice/natural language. But I'm not sure Bluesound will have the resources needed (or the market penetration to create the demand) to develop much more than basic integration given they are not a content manager of music. So as long they can function as a high quality destination and work towards integrating various sources, I'm happy

randle

Post by randle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:13 am

Good post Randle. I agree :lol:
Google Cast integration for 2019... please

randle

Post by randle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 pm

And now the Google chromecast audio is being discontinued... So that means you guys no longer have an external solution to point people to in order to chromecast to their Bluesound audio gear

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/1817 ... inued-sale

sticknpuck

Post by sticknpuck » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:10 pm

randle wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 pm
And now the Google chromecast audio is being discontinued... So that means you guys no longer have an external solution to point people to in order to chromecast to their Bluesound audio gear

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/1817 ... inued-sale
That's too bad... I really liked the versatility of that little device and I thought they found a sweet spot in the market.

Bluesound!! We are begging you to add google play to streaming services.

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:19 pm

If there was access to the required elements it would be there...
sticknpuck wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:10 pm
BluOS Product guy; Development and Partnerships
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

music2424

Post by music2424 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:01 pm

AndrewH wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:19 pm
sticknpuck wrote:
Hi @AndrewH

Do you mean the Node 2i doesn't have the required hardware to support Chromecast?

I believe Chromecast is not just a software/firmware solution, but needs an encrypted chip (hardware) also?

Is that why Chromecase Built-In is not possible with the Node 2i?

Cheers

randle

Post by randle » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 am

AndrewH wrote:
What are these required elements?

Stelvio

Post by Stelvio » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Just adding my two cents to ask about both Google Play Music and Youtube Music BluOS integration. I'm not so worried about cast, although being able to use the BluOS players as sound destinations for a chromecast video would be useful no doubt. But the GPM/YTM thing is really prominent by it's absence. "Another major brand" of multiroom audio already has YTM integration, only 8 months after YTM launched. BluOS does not yet have GPM, which has been out for 8 years....

I'm using my local library and streaming via Tidal. I find Tidal to be very enjoyable but it's somewhat costly given I need to maintain the basic google subscription which gets me GPM/YTM anyway. I've also (rightly or wrongly) gained the impression that Tidal's range is not as good as other providers, and particularly the MQA content is quite sparse thus far. I don't want to use Snotify since I want it to all work from one app.

Just now I wondered whether this might be due to "the other major brand" trying to nobble Bluesound by pressuring the service providers not to integrate with BluOS? Might explain bandcamp's lack of interest (referenced in the other thread), which I can't understand.

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Sometimes it appears like your surmising, sometimes it's a case of originating companies technical bandwidth, sometimes it is a case of a company trying to force a platform change/direction on people and away from an original unsupported one that was developed 8 years ago... it is a mix of reasons. In most cases lately the companies we talk to are internally debating how to handle a large number of third party companies like us asking for the same thing against their own internal capabilities.
Stelvio wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Just adding my two cents to ask about both Google Play Music and Youtube Music BluOS integration. I'm not so worried about cast, although being able to use the BluOS players as sound destinations for a chromecast video would be useful no doubt. But the GPM/YTM thing is really prominent by it's absence. "Another major brand" of multiroom audio already has YTM integration, only 8 months after YTM launched. BluOS does not yet have GPM, which has been out for 8 years....

I'm using my local library and streaming via Tidal. I find Tidal to be very enjoyable but it's somewhat costly given I need to maintain the basic google subscription which gets me GPM/YTM anyway. I've also (rightly or wrongly) gained the impression that Tidal's range is not as good as other providers, and particularly the MQA content is quite sparse thus far. I don't want to use Snotify since I want it to all work from one app.

Just now I wondered whether this might be due to "the other major brand" trying to nobble Bluesound by pressuring the service providers not to integrate with BluOS? Might explain bandcamp's lack of interest (referenced in the other thread), which I can't understand.
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you

AndrewH
Site Admin

Post by AndrewH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 pm

GC4A is a software only (depending on processor) solution that essentially is a headless browser that carries a link to content to be played.

There are a number of reasons why CAST has not yet been implemented, and none that I'm going to go into, but it remains on the roadmap, and eventually if the stars align we would integrate it.
music2424 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:01 pm
AndrewH wrote:
sticknpuck wrote:
Hi @AndrewH

Do you mean the Node 2i doesn't have the required hardware to support Chromecast?

I believe Chromecast is not just a software/firmware solution, but needs an encrypted chip (hardware) also?

Is that why Chromecase Built-In is not possible with the Node 2i?

Cheers