Shrill highs MQA analog out fix

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
bobpaule

Shrill highs MQA analog out fix

Post by bobpaule » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Good Evening,

I have set up the Node 2i with my Marantz HD-DAC1 and used Monster M1000i short interconnects with an RCA to mini adapter.

Playing Anima Sacra MQA 174kHz, 24bit, 1500kbps shrill highs were forming up .

I started with my cables and then went to tweak setting.

As soon as I enabled tone control without making any other changes (sliders at 50%) everything sounded great, volume is fixed.

Now I need to make the app work with my ethernet wired Node 2i, then AirPlay on the receivers.

bobpaule

Re: Shrill highs MQA analog out fix

Post by bobpaule » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:00 am

Received Amazon replacement player, working great, I can apply tone controls with fixed volume analog out to my DAC and it SOUNDS GREAT.

TinCanFury

Post by TinCanFury » Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 am

I just played with this on my Node 2i and also noticed a significant change between having tone controls enabled but no setting change and having them disabled.

not quite sure why this would be, or what the Node 2i is doing.

That said, after some listening it sounds more like enabling tone control is muffling the sound overall, so while the highs do get muted, the detail I was hearing before is also going away.

SeppiE

Post by SeppiE » Mon May 06, 2019 5:22 am

When you enable / toggle tone control the player reduces its volume slightly. This the allows "headroom" to manipulate the controls. I think TonyW posted info about this before but there is a footer here https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us ... _site=true

With two identical devices, if the volume is reduces on one (even slightly) the louder one will sound better