Welcome to the Bluesound Discussion Forum

Free-for-all chat about the Bluesound Ecosystem.
TonyW
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the Bluesound Discussion Forum

Post by TonyW » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:18 am

:lol: ;)
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

Coen

Post by Coen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:16 pm

A very healthy & successful 2015 from The Netherlands.
Every day I am happy with my Pulse and Node.
Great quality, easy to use, and regular useful innovations (updates).
A special compliment for the helpdesk: fast, friendly and a lot of know how.
Thank you Bluesound people!
Cheers, Coen

fuzzybk

Post by fuzzybk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi Guys. A happy new owner of a Bluesound Node. Sounds terrific in my HT. What a great forum this is. It has answered alot of my initial questions and I have learned alot as well so thanks for that. Keep up the good work Bluesound.
Anthem AVM 50v, Statement A5 - Panasonic 65VT30 - Arcam CD17, DV139 - Sony S5000ES - Tannoy Eyris DC3, DCC, DC1 - M&K V1250THX - Panamax 5500EX - Bluesound Node - Audioquest cables - Shunyata Research Power cords - Primacoustic Recoil stabilizers

JOB

Re: Confounding files and metadata

Post by JOB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Good day all......my first post to the board, hopefully I'm not out of my league here.....I'm on the brink of ordering the Node 2 and am pretty excited about it....tired of the Logitech Revue trying to play HR files. I've heard horror stories about indexing files correctly etc. For years I've been using ES File manager.....very functional but nothing pretty. I'd like to drag myself into the 21st century and get album art and all that cool stuff to show on my controlling tablet...HOWEVER....my files (2000 CDs) are a mix of downladed flac files converted to WAV, ripped CDs in WAV and probably 40% are MP3 (320) downloaded from who-knows-where on the internet.
I tried to use PLEX this weekend and it was a disaster......John Mayer songs showing up on Eric Clapton CDs etc. How difficult is this going to be for me?....and is there a way to fix my files before my Node 2 gets here?
HELP! (and many thanks!)

AudioGuy

Post by AudioGuy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:42 pm

JOB:

No matter bad it is, it is pretty easy to fix... it will just take a bit of time, the biggest issue is going to be the WAV files... they don't hold onto the metadata well when they get moved around, so I would either re-rip/buy/download, or convert them to FLAC before doing any "fixes" to the file's' data.... then sit down with your favorite beverage (or two, three) and check the files to make sure the artist and album art match up - then you will have a "clean" folder with your tunes (Mediamonkey is pretty good if you are a PC user... and its free you can edit metadata and cover art fairly quickly without too much jumping around)

JOB

Post by JOB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks audio guy.....I'm trying to avoid spending the next year (+?) changing all my files. I have 2000 CDs which seems daunting when considering changing them all....can't afford to re-buy or download.....is there any way to get it done "en masse"? Better yet.....is there a service that will do it for you? Whats going to happen if I try to play these files "as is" through NODE?
As I mentioned, I'm new to this and not very up on all that has to be done.....

JOB

Post by JOB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:50 am

Back again after making much progress....I've converted all my files to flac and want to make sure they are "compliant" so load up clean into my node 2. The Bluesound guys suggested Mediamonkey.....I've downloaded it and have started the "cleanup" process but have one (hopefully) last question. When updating through the "Auto Tag From Web" function, do I need to be putting the cover art on each track? I'm thinking that's taking up an awful lot of valuable space! If my assumption is correct, and I can just put it in the album file, how do I do that?
since I'm "auto tagging" each CD, should I go in and remove the artwork already there first?
Any help is appreciated......I'm pretty old to be messing with all of this computer stuff .....didn't have any of this stuff when I came up...but it's fun to learn how.....keeping me young but I need assistance now and again.....so I appreciate the help!!
JOB

TonyW
Site Admin

Post by TonyW » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:24 am

Hi JOB

You guessed right - we handle artwork two ways. You can save a lot of room in your index by storing the album cover as Folder.jpg in the folder of the Alabum... here are more details on this; https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/ ... /200271926
Need help? Select Help, Send Support Request in the App or e-mail us at support@bluesound.com and we will reach out to you.

JOB

Post by JOB » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:27 am

OK....so here we are over a month later.....a month which I spent way too many hours preparing my folders/files on MM as you suggested for loading on to Bluesound. I rec'd my Node 2 two weeks ago and have had nothing but frustration since. I must say I'm tempted to send it back and hook up my old Logitech Revue again!! The player sound is nice.....a lot softer and more refined than the LR I must say....but I'm not sure the improvement justifies the money or effort put forth so far. If I could get the files and the artwork correct I'd be happy.....bottom line to date is I'm getting pretty frustrated. For all I know it's (probably) user error....some of it I think is Media Monkey.....but I shouldn't have to try this hard!
Before we even get to the Artist list in library there are 50 or so one and two word items that don't go anywhere/do anything...what are they and how do I delete? Artwork that shows plainly on MM is nowhere to be found on BS.....and Artists names come out differently on BS no matter how many times I fix them on MM and delete/reload index.
Alan Parsons....The Alan Parsons Project.....Alan Parsons Project....Alan Project Parsons.......seriously? They all show as "The Alan Parsons Project" on MM. I have several artists name issues like that. Then there is artwork. No matter how many times I "autotag from web" or copy/paste from google images, and make sure I check "apply to all files".....I'd say 25% of the artwork doesn't show up on BS. ....and what does stops showing on "Now Playing" after several hours of listening.
Are these common problems? Am I doing something wrong? I must say I'm reaching my patience limits with this thing.....I hear a lot about the "fantastic support" from BS......I hope so....can you help me out?
Anything you can offer will be appreciated greatly....but please hurry as I only have another week to return this to Crutchfield
Side question that may answer some questions......it appears not all files converted from MP3 / WAV to FLAC......if I have mixed files in BS does that mess things up?
THANKS GUYS!!!
JOB

Muzz17

Post by Muzz17 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Job,

Sorry but I don't use MediaMonkey. for me it's MP3Tag for tagging and dbPoweramp for ripping and converting files. Personally I'd suggest you download at least MP3tag, it's good, easy to use and lets you tag multiple files (so you can highlight all your Alan Parsons Project tracks and change the tags all at once, that way you KNOW they are all the same)

For items that are not identified you can look in the technical info on the BLS app and see the path to the file. On the iOS app there is an icon to bring up extra info, on Android it's in the dropdown. That at least will tell you where to go to either delete the files or fix the tagging. And just ensure that your network share does not include the recycle bin.

Autotagging from the web is only a start and is only as good as the info that is out there and would never be wholly reliable. As I have no knowledge of Media Monkey I don't know if you can tag multiple tracks at the same time, but if you can I would suggest you group all the tracks from each album and check the tags album by album. BLS only shows the tags in the files, it's not bringing in anything new.

Artwork must be under 600kb. I also had issues and here's what I did... Music files are sorted by Album Artist/Album. In each album folder there is a file Folder.jpg. Check that this is always less than 600kb. Then for those albums that had issues, in Mp3tag I removed the embedded artwork, saved the files, then embedded the folder.jpg file in the tracks. According to BLS, you don't need embedded artwork, just the folder.jpg file, however other programs do need embedded artwork and for portability I have kept it.

I also never use the "Reindex Music Collection" option. For me it created too many errors, so I now always on use the delete/reindex option in Configure Player. Takes a bit longer but no doubled up or missing tracks. I have never had BLS stop showing artwork, no matter how long it has been playing, so if this is an ongoing issue for you contact the support guys, They really are very helpful.

Having FLAC/MP3/WAV files in the same collection should present no problem at all. I might be a little concerned about the tags in the WAV files, I'd just convert them to FLAC to be sure.

Hope some of this helps. Cheers, Kel
My 83yo Mother has thrown her hands up with SmartPlay and gone to the NAD App.